Popping noise when channel switching

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
bignick99

Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I've started to notice a popping noise when switching from the clean channel to the drive channel....is this normal?

rmincin

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 am

I have the same issue? Tried different foot switches with same issue.

bignick99

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 am

One thing i've also noticed is that it only happens if a note is ringing out, if the strings are muted or the guitar volume is at zero it doesn't happen but if you play a chord or note, let it ring and switch from clean to overdrive you get a distinct "pop" then the note continues to ring.
It is more pronounce with more drive or if the volume is louder.
I do think it is something to do with the switch because if you gently push the switch (not enough to switch channels) the tone becomes muffled and needs a second light tap to regain the non-muffled tone.
I've also noticed when i use a drive pedal infront of the clean channel the volume sometimes fads in and out.

rmincin

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 pm

I sent an email to BlackStar for confirmation.

rmincin

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the enquiry.

It is hard to diagnose a problem over email, however it sounds like there could be a problem with your amp. We would recommend you return the amp to your point of purchase so it can be serviced by one of our authorised technicians. They know how to get our amps sounding the best.
Kind regards,
Tom
Blackstar Customer Services

Tel: +44 (0)1604 652844
Email: tom@blackstaramps.com

www.blackstaramps.com

bignick99

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I took the amp back to PMT in Southend today and they replaced the tubes, i'm still not 100% sure it's cured the problem as there is still a slight "pop" when the channel switches.
But it is noticably louder and there's more gain......Have to wait and see i guess.

Wondering if the Boss Metalcore i run through the clean channel or using an EMG loaded guitar tuned to drop B is causing the valves to fail???????..........Time will tell.........

MetalOctane

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:00 pm

I don't think the guitar or pickups have anything to do with premature valve failure. Actually, EMG's (assuming they are active) are lower output than high output passive pickups. The stock valves in these things are known to have reliability issues, that may be what you experienced.

I was once told by an electrical engineer that works for an amp company that amps tend to "pop" when channel switching unless a bit of delay (channel switching time, not an effect) is built in to the amp's switching circuit. The reason for the delay is because it provides time for a built in volume cut and return during the switching process. However, the delay is not acceptable to most players so this method of silent switching is not used very often.

rmincin

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 pm

What tube did they swap. I change mine with no change in the popping noise.

bignick99

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

I think it was the tube in the power section but i'm not 100% sure, It's better but i'm sure the "popping" noise is still there but not as loud.

Vicus

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:01 am

Tubes have no matter about switching pop. I have one of the first (arrived in my state) HT5 combo and when I switch from dist to clean it make a pop. Without input signal there is no pop, with the clean volume at 0 (lead volume no matter) no pop, with lead gain at 0 no pop, ore gain loud pop.
The noise is produced after the return because in send signal the isn't switch noise and after the two volume knob.

I read that it's a common problem about the first unit produced and that there is a upgrade kit for eliminate the problem. In the next day I'll try to contact some authorized service center.

Some one with a pretty new ht5 could make some high resolution photo near IC1?

• Information