HT-5R Need Some Bottom End

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
CantankerousCarl

Sat May 19, 2012 11:59 am

Started with an HT-5R Combo, added a Club 40 because the clean channel on the 5R just didn't do it for small shows, even some rehearsals.

Now I have a hard time playing the 5R even just noodling around at home because it's so tinny compared to the 40 - which is still too big for me to lug around with my back issues.

I am very close to swapping the 5R combo out for an H&K Tubemeister 18 combo, although it's pricey, tiny little thing sounds amazing with alot fuller sound, esp on clean channel (although I do like the BS dirty better), and of course more headroom. And tiny.

Should I swap the speaker or do anything else to the 5R, or is this as good as I'm going to get without voiding my warranty?

KKND

Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Start with a pre amp and power amp tube swap. The HT 5 doesn't require biasing and the tubes can be slit in easily, however, be careful while mingling inside an amp.

The huge difference will come from the speaker, the stock 12'' speaker is crap. The good news are, plenty of great 12'' speakers out there. I am saying this because the previous iteration came stock with a 10'' speaker!!

Moreover, a compressor up front and an eq in the loop can do magic to these amps.

Have fun

a1terrier

Sat May 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Is that a definate no need to re-bias on both pre-amp and power amp tubes. I hear different views on this. Some say no need to and some say you must rebias. I would love to upgrade tubes on my HT5 R Head but dont want to if it needs rebiasing.

KKND

Sat May 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Hmmmm, I don' want to give you a definitive answer but yes, as far as i know the power tube (12BH7) in the HT5 replacement doesn't require biasing.

CantankerousCarl

Sat May 19, 2012 3:48 pm

I am not much of a tinkerer, so sounds like the speaker might be the easiest thing to do first...

Bigsmudger

Sun May 20, 2012 8:57 am

Replacing the speaker should make the bigger difference tonally anyway.

Def. no need to bias pre amp valves

ffooxx

Sun May 20, 2012 1:54 pm

I have done tubes 1st on the HT-5 and I have the older version with G10N speaker which I pair now with the Vintage 10 speaker the result is is great.When I bought HT-40 I changed tubes and speaker at the same time as the 70/80 was not my taste and I put Lead 80 which is great all around speaker. Some say that speakers doesn't sound that great at 1st as they need to break in. My advise is to go to a friend who has an extension cab with broken in speakers celestion V30,75s,25s etc.. and test which one you like and then do a speaker upgrade.

LonePhantom

Mon May 21, 2012 12:28 am

The power tube should be re-biased, although you might get lucky.

Celestion Vintage 30 sounds amazing with the HT-5. really tight heavy low end, great mids, and highs are just right. Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp valve is a massive upgrade too.

RCB-CA-USA

Mon May 21, 2012 1:48 am

LonePhantom wrote:The power tube should be re-biased, although you might get lucky.

Celestion Vintage 30 sounds amazing with the HT-5. really tight heavy low end, great mids, and highs are just right. Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp valve is a massive upgrade too.
I'm about to purchase spare tubes and sacrificial devices (fuses) so I don't need to rush around to get them when a tube or saraficial device fails or goes bad in my HT5R. What is the difference in sound between the stock and Tung-Sol valves (this is the first time I've called a tube a valve btw)?

LonePhantom

Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 am

I hate to use cliches, but it's like lifting a blanket off your speaker. Everything sounded 'better'. I bought a gold pin one, although paying extra for a gold pin model is apparently negligible in terms of 'better' quality. I'm sure now that the standard pin one would provide the same results.

Tonally everything about the amp is more alive. Cleans are far better too, much more sparkly, and capable of cleaner tones at higher volumes. Distorted everything was tighter where you wanted it to be tight, more dynamic, and maybe even a little louder.

Another great thing was the amp was quieter too. Not so much hum.

• Information