Anyone find the HT-5 better sounding then the other HT series of amps?

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
poweredbysoul

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 pm

For reference I own the HT-5 in head and combo version. Very good tone. Now I also had a series one which was excellent as well.
I then decided to grab a combo HT-20 for rehearsing and small gigs, It sounds much differant then the HT5.
I put a Vintage 30 in the combo and swapped some differant pre amp tubes in, which did help.

Anyone also find a big differance?

Superchampable

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 am

Its been a while since I demo'ed the 5 but seeing how the venues are the "big brother" to the 5 I bought the 40 thinking it would sound the same with more options.. But ya from what I rememberd the 5 sounded better and the ISF sounded alot more noticeable. Do you agree with me on that about the ISF? Anyways what made you get rid of your series one for a venue? Every one Ive heard says the series one blows away the venues
Edit- What speaker is in the 5?

poweredbysoul

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 am

I sold the series one 100 watt head only because, I like my Marshall JCM 800 2203 and my Jubilee heads better. Could not justifiy keeping all 3.
The series one does blow away the venue series for sure!

I wanted a solid combo for rehearsal and small gigs, couldn't find a Marshall combo I liked. Or any others for that matter!
After alot of experimentation with the HT-20 combo, I have it sounding much better! For starters I tryed a few differant speakers in it and settled on the Vintage 30. I also changed the prea amp tubes and found JJ's sounded best. When I change the power tubes I will either put SED winged C's in or Sventlans.
I also like that you can run an external cab with the combo as long as it's 16 ohms and run the intenal speaker as well. Big plus! The amp is very dark sounding to me. The speaker change really helped!

Anyway I just got back from rehearsal and the amp sounded the best it ever has, I almost got rid of it but it sounds much better now. My band does classic rock. Some Hard rock as well.
I run the hT-5 head with a closed back 1x12 cab with a greenback in it and it sounds great!!! Can use for reharsal but gets lost with a serious drummer.
For what ever reason the Ht-5 has a better quality sound to me.
But the HT 20 will stay now. Would I gig with it.......No. My Marshall heads destroy it!

sir riff a lot

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 am

Im the opposite.

I own both the HT5H and the HT20H , and I prefer the HT20H even for bedroom volume stuff.

While I do like the Ht5 , to my ears the HT20H sounds more like a real tube amp.

Superchampable

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 am

Soul- Would have figured you would have trade the series one for the 45 combo and just used the dpr. Even though I have heard it colors the tone. Knowing you traded for a venue makes me feel better for not blowing 17 hundred on a 45.. Id probably buy a marshall next time anyways

gt_jumper

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:45 am

My HT-5 was great but it has nothing on the 20, bearing in mind the 20 needs to be running at a decent volume to sound decent.

• Information