New HT5-R - No Sound!

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
dmod

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

I just got a new HT5-R to use as a practice amp and it worked great for about a week. I came home last night and plugged in, but couldn't get any sound. I've done all the troubleshooting steps I can think up, but still nothing. Here are the facts:
- The amp lights up completely
- The emulated output still works
- If I hook the speaker into the emulated output, I can get sound out of it, so I know the speaker connection is good
- Both tubes appear to be glowing

Any thoughts on the problem? Could a tube be bad even though it's glowing? I was very happy with this amp, so I'm hoping this is a fluke and not a statement of its quality.

Thanks!
-Tom

Uffingdon

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:16 pm

I guess it could be the standby switch not working correctly as your emulated out is working as it should.

Uff. Image

LonePhantom

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 am

Umm, it's new. Take it back under warranty. Sounds to me like you've checked everything.

aligowers

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:30 pm

ive got the the same problem ive tried the same thing and mines wont work either

Blackiemore

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:28 pm

aligowers wrote:ive got the the same problem ive tried the same thing and mines wont work either
Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I thought I could help. You are not going to like this but the same thing happened to my HT5R head and the end result is that the service tech at Sweetwater determined the amp was unrepairable unless returned to the factory. The cause was " internal shorts on the board." When my amp fizzed and the speaker outs stopped working, I had just stepped on a Bad Monkey OD, and fizzzzz. that was all except for white noise static. I was able to coax SOME sound out of the external cab I had hooked up, but only if I cranked the amps gain and volumes. The output noise was harsh, gritty and very low volume. But like both of the posts before, the emulated out still worked on both channels. This is sounding more and more like a manufacturing defect or design flaw. I'm in the process of getting the replacement head from Sweetwater.

aligowers

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:40 pm

cheers for the info mate i am not happy with the amp at all the tone was great but the more ive looked into this the more people i find with the same problem im going to get a refund and get something else i think. Only problem ive got is posting as i work 6 days a week. But defo wanting my money back on this amp.
Ali

Rosspj15

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:20 am

Hi I have the problem. Left my amp on stand by for about an hour and when I went to use it again there was a burning smell in the room the headphones worked perfect but when I took it of standby nothing out of the speaker. Could get some sounds out of it only nasty sounds at full volume. Only had the amp since jan this year. Can I send it direct to black star uk as my dealer has no repair centre. I have ordered a12bh7 as the valve warranty is only 90 days but looking at this post my problems are greater than a valve. I just hope black star will repair it I only use it about 2 hours a week and have modded nothing. It looks like a common fault though And hope they will repair it. How long will the amp b gone for repair as it is only one I own. Thanks in advance

RCB-CA-USA

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:19 am

I'm having the same issue -- no sound from an HT-5RH except for a faint signal on the overdrive channel at full volume and full gain. The emulated out works fine.

...ironically, even the faint signal coming out of it sounds good too. Image

I sent Blackstar and Korg emails requesting a troubleshooting routine.

Hopefully, Blackstar will offer a fix for the issue, quickly.

Rosspj15

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:54 pm

This seems to be a very common fault you would think may be bs would sort this out and give some info as to why the resistors are burning out. R39 is the resistor which has gone on mine. Replaced today with a like for like but no change. Buzzed the circuit out from diagrams i found and all seems to be good so could be down to a bad tube which will arrive Tuesday so will try that. Should have sent it away as still in warranty but was reluctant to pay the carriage which will be at least 20 quid to have a 40p resistor replaced. Also did not want to pay to send it when valves are not covered after 90 days so if it was a bad tube bs would not do anything with it so would have been a waste of time. Hope i can get it sorted now i work for a defence avionics firm so we all know are electronics and i and my work mates will work this one out and will tell u the exact fault with this amp. I am not very happy at all the amp is 8 months old and has been used for a total of about 20hours very poor imo. Hope backstage recognise there is a problem and as i am not the only one with this problem the same resistors seem to keep going. The circuit is running to hot so will try a bigger watt resistor in its place. Sorry for if this does not make sense i have written it on my phone.

ronnie robinson

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:03 am

Blackstar is having some serious reliability issues ........

• Information