HT-5 FX loop with delay/reverb/chorus problem

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Charlie Foxtrot

Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey guys, new member here. I have had an HT-5 head for just about a year now. I have noticed that if I am running a time based effect in the FX loop (usually reverb) I get a loud volume spike with the trail off of the effect when switching between the clean and OD channel. Does anyone else have this issue? I emailed Blackstar about the issue and to see if there is some kind of fix or if it is just a design situation, but I never got a response.

ffooxx

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Hey guys, new member here. I have had an HT-5 head for just about a year now. I have noticed that if I am running a time based effect in the FX loop (usually reverb) I get a loud volume spike with the trail off of the effect when switching between the clean and OD channel. Does anyone else have this issue? I emailed Blackstar about the issue and to see if there is some kind of fix or if it is just a design situation, but I never got a response.
Yes, this is due to the independent channels setup(There is no master section). I have also noticed that the clean is louder then the OD channel.
IMO the FX loop problem is in where the jacks are taken out of the circuit meaning it is not located straight between both preamps(after the volume pots) and the power amp,
You can do a test as if you have external preamp which you will connect to return jack of the FX loop you will control the overall volume by the clean channel volume knob.

I have read on other forum, that there is a fix to it, but you need to do some soldering and reconnection in the circuit.

As clearly seen below you need to connect the jacks of the FX loop and do a new split right after the clean pot.

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/15/52/02/09/blacks11.gif

I have quote somebody on youtube about the HT Venue series and I have been told that this issue is gone so the FX loop work as it should.
Last edited by ffooxx on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Foxtrot

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

ffooxx wrote:
Charlie Foxtrot wrote:Hey guys, new member here. I have had an HT-5 head for just about a year now. I have noticed that if I am running a time based effect in the FX loop (usually reverb) I get a loud volume spike with the trail off of the effect when switching between the clean and OD channel. Does anyone else have this issue? I emailed Blackstar about the issue and to see if there is some kind of fix or if it is just a design situation, but I never got a response.
Yes, this is due to the independent channels setup(There is no master section). I have also noticed that the clean is louder then the OD channel.
IMO the FX loop problem is in where the jacks are taken out of the circuit meaning it is not located straight between both preamps(after the volume pots) and the power amp,
You can do a test as if you have external preamp which you will connect to return jack of the FX loop you will control the overall volume by the clean channel volume knob.

I have read on other forum, that there is a fix to it, but you need to do some soldering and reconnection in the circuit.

As clearly see below you need to connect the jacks of the FX loop and do a new split right after the clean pot.

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/15/52/02/09/blacks11.gif

I have quote somebody on youtube about the HT series and I have been told that this issue is gone so the FX loop work as it should.
Very cool! Thanks for this information!

valek

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi, new member here too and also experiencing the problem as stated above.
My question is does Blackstar know about this problem and if so what is their stance on it?
i would like to get it fixed, but im not to keen on paying extra for it and voiding my warranty as a result

• Information