Cabinet choices for the HT-5

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
VENTGtr

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Rewiring will work, yes. Another option...and I'm trying to remember what's on the back of the HT5...if there are 2 input jacks on the cab, you can run 2 outs at 8ohms from the head to the speakers.

ronnie robinson

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 am

Interesting topic this the effect changing a cab can have.

I've recently bought a Ht 5 head this a view to running it through a Orangs 1 x 12 Cab fitted with a Celectian Vintage 30 Speaker. It is much louder than I imagined it was going to be and sounds great. The Celestian Vintage 30 has a rep for being a very efficient speaker and that certainly seems to be true.

Jerome

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Is there any different in terms of tone and volume for running in 2x12 for 8 ohm(stereo) , 4 ohm parallel, or 16 ohm series? or another words, how ohm of the cabinet affect tone and volume?

sleepeatplay

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:27 am

Jerome wrote:Is there any different in terms of tone and volume for running in 2x12 for 8 ohm(stereo) , 4 ohm parallel, or 16 ohm series? or another words, how ohm of the cabinet affect tone and volume?
I don't notice any difference in tone personally. My Marshall cabinet is wired in series for 16 ohms. Sounds great. There are plenty of schematics out there for wiring, just look around the internet. That head works great with multiple speakers.
My latest endeavor....Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guitar Goober

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 am

sleepeatplay wrote:My latest endeavor....Image
Looks awesome!!

sleepeatplay

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Guitar Goober wrote:
sleepeatplay wrote:My latest endeavor....Image
Looks awesome!!
Thanks! Sounds huge running two amps, slightly different EQ settings of course.

Jono82

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:20 pm

That'd sound fantastic!

BobZ

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:21 am

atl123 wrote:I bought the Blackstar HT-110 "default" cabinet when I bought the HT-5 amp. I have not tried the amp out with another cabinet as the other amps I am around are all combos and have different impedences than what the HT-5 requires.

But I feel like the HT-110 is by far the weak link in the chain. It makes the amp sound real "boxy" and there is no low end. I have to turn the bass up pretty much all the way to get any low and that can't be right. I noticed when looking at the HT-5 settings thread that most people had the bass closer to 12 o'clock.

Does anybody else out there have the HT-110 cabinet and some other cabinets that you have A/B'd the amp with?

I would think that a solid 2x12 cabinet with V30's or possibly even a 1x12 would be best for a lot of things, but then again my knowledge of guitar cabinets and how they effect sound is probably my weak link of my guitar knowledge due to playing combo amps so much.

(BTW, here is some bands that kind of represent the music I am playing through this amp - Alice in Chains, Godsmack, Dream Theater, Guns N Roses, Anthrax, Pearl Jam, Rage ATM, Zeppelin, Cream, and Hendrix. So there is a combo of Mesa rectifier sounds and Marshall sounds in there.)

- Really glad Blackstar got a forum going.

When people say that they think the speaker is the weak link.... My question is ... they are most likely referring to the actual "speaker" that comes
with the cabinet.... correct?

Put another way... how is the quality of the cabinet that comes with the HT - 5? Could it be the cabinet causing people to not like the sound...? or is the cabinet just fine and its the actual speaker that people don't care for?

I love the way the HT - 5 stack looks and would probably upgrade the speakers as there are a bunch of good 10" speakers out there.... If the HT - 5 cabinets are ok then that will save a lot of time looking at other solutions for cabinets.....

• Information