HT5 Effects loop

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Alexitalia

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 am

Yes, the HT5 is definitely the best amp in the class. I have one of the first HT5 and I live at walking distance from Blackstar HQ (Billing Rd.)
But I have a problem...I find the effect loop unusable. It doesnt like reverb or delay... On the clean chennel is passable, but on the overdrive channel is definitley no-no...
It seems that the FX Loop is placed in between the Preamp and the Power amp and this is an unusual placement ( I have been told all this).
The thing is that if I get my overdrive from an external pedal placed IN FRONT of the amp on the clean channel, it works...
Anyone experienced this?
Great amp anyway, found the sound I want. Looking into a new 20W...

LonePhantom

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:20 am

Are you serious? I use a Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper in the FX loop of my HT5 and have had no issues whatsoever. It sounds fantastic both on the clean and the dirty channel. Maybe there is a problem with your loop that you need to get checked out?

I thought the FX loop usually sat between the power amp and pre amp. That was my understanding of loops on amps.

ezietsman

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm

The loop is supposed to be between the preamp and power amp. Some effects are supposed to go in the loop and some aren't. Overdrive, for instance, is supposed to go in front of the preamp, not in the loop. Delay and reverb can go in the loop. Make sure you set your loop level for effects (-10?, the lower one) and not for desk.

gt_jumper

Sat May 01, 2010 3:14 am

Dude, i run a badmonkey boost out front and a digidelay in the loop with great results, it reacts to the pedals the same way all my other amps do.....

Sounds to me something isn't right.

And the HT-20 is a great amp.

sleepeatplay

Sat May 01, 2010 4:34 pm

ezietsman wrote:The loop is supposed to be between the preamp and power amp. Some effects are supposed to go in the loop and some aren't. Overdrive, for instance, is supposed to go in front of the preamp, not in the loop. Delay and reverb can go in the loop. Make sure you set your loop level for effects (-10?, the lower one) and not for desk.
This is correct. :!:

black_on_black

Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am

I use a Digiverb in my effects loop, with the overdrive channel and an overdrive pedal, without issues (aside from the volume jump if I go right to clean without stopping). What problems are you having?

Sturmovik

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 pm

I use a Hardwire reverb in my loop and it sounds fantastic. I would check your effects loop setting as previously suggested.

sizzlingbadger

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:31 am

I have Boss ME-50 and it works fine in the loop except when trying to use the OD/Distortion effects, they are terrible (really muddy and messy). If I put the ME-50 between the guitar and input the OD/ Dist is fine but then I can't use the reverb/delay etc with the HT-5's OD.

Is there a common way to get around this ? some sort of switch ? or do I have to sell the (very recently purchased) ME-50 and buy separate pedals :(

ffooxx

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:19 am

There is a fix for the volume jump

sizzlingbadger

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 pm

The volume jump would be due to the gain/att of the effects in the loop path, how does moving the loop to after the amp volume controls make that any different ? I haven't suffered a volume jump myself, just trying to figure it out just in case I do in the future. I think I have come up with a design to switch my ME-50 from front of amp to the loop with a single switch box. http://web.me.com/player.nz/misc/circuit.jpg I shall be building it shortly.

• Information