HT-5 Loud channel Switching pop.

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
longi
Location: At the foot of the South Downs National Park in Blighty

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 pm

I've just bought mine new and there's a loud pop when changing channels, apparently there's been a few people with the same problem. Has anybody had the problem cured and do they know what it was?

Ahead

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello, i own a brand New HT-5HR since 15 days and i noticed the same loud pop when switching from clean Channel to the overdrive Channel. It only happens when some sound is played... If i switch from clean to OD without playing, there is no pop.
There is also no pop at all when i switch from OD Channel to clean, even while playing.

I can't remember if the amp i tested at my local guitarshop was having such a big pop noise,
I am mainly wondering if this pop is something known and usual on the blackstar ht-5, or if m'y brand New head has an issue that needs to ne fixed...???

Thanx for your help ;)

longi

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I took it back and swapped it for a replacement HT-5 and it does exactly the same thing. How no one else has heard it other than yourself is beyond me. I have no experience of the older models but I think all of the 2011 models probably make the popping sound. Your right, about it only making the popping sound when the signal is running through the amp. Both amps I've had made the popping sound switching between both channels. When mine went back Blackstar said they could find nothing wrong with it. My ears tell me different and my head tells me it's a poor design. I've a fair bit of experience in the electronics/electrical industry and I know how to use a multimeter, sometimes even though the values are correct things still don't work correctly. The trouble is some engineers will only look at values and not use their ears or in some cases brains and will deny there is something wrong with it to the death, even though clearly there is! For me it's unusable for live work, if you had it mic'd up the popping would be so loud it may well be uncomfortable for the audiences ears as you switch channels. It's pretty loud un-mic'd at our rehearsals. So bad in fact I've just started to use the amp models on my GT-100 instead of the HT-5's clean channel which only ok at best. The GT-100's clean amp models are better than the HT-5's and I don't get the popping sound now running it in this way as it doesn't change the HT-5's channels.

Ahead

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:38 pm

I realise i never posted what happened to my amp...
I finally returned it back to my local shop where i bought it.
As it was still Under warranty, i asked for a repair and finally recieved another one three weeks later... with no more 'pop noise' when i switch the channels... since this repair, i couldn't be happier with my blackstar ht-5RH ;)

longi

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Do you know what they did to repair it?

• Information