New owner of Blackstar HT-5H

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
357mag

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 am

Picked up a Blackstar HT-5H with a matching 1 x 10 cab last week. Didn't turn it on till today. I'm pretty happy with the sound. This is the first amp I've used that gives a fairly good crunchy tone at a low volume. Most tube amps can't do this but this HT-5H delivers. I put in a Celestion G10 Greenback in the cab. Good sounding speaker.

What kinda bums me out though is this stuff I'm reading about the user not changing tubes himself. So if a guy needs a retube what does he do? I live in the United States. I got the amp from Musician's Friend and I registered online at the Blackstar site.

XloydtilldeathX666

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:39 am

the tubes in this thing are rugged. most of the time you wont need a retube for a long time. the tubes arent exactly the best sounding out there, but they are rugged tubes that should last a long time. if you end up needing a retube before your warranty expires, then you can get a tech to do it under warranty, which may require sending the head off, or you can do it yourself, and keep the factory tubes. i doubt blackstar would ever know really. just throw the originals back in before you send it off, if something else were to happen to it., and you will end up with new tubes to boot! haha

i got mine used for $179. ive put a mullard reissue 12ax7 in and i have a NOS sylvania 12bh7A on the way to me now. the preamp tube swap really smoothed out the sound.. amd im glad i upgraded, but i think im gonna try some others. maybe a sovtek 12ax7lps, maybe a shuguang 12ax7b...

im really stoked on trying the new power tube too.

357mag

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 am

When you put in a new power tube though doesn't the amp have to be rebiased?

XloydtilldeathX666

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am

From what I gather it's cathode bias, with fine tune adjustment trimpots on the board. I'm going to look into it further before I swap the tube. There are tons of conflicting opinions on bias anyway. Essentially if you like the way it sounds and don't get any redplating on power tubes you are ok. You may still be running it at a bias that may shorten tube life, but the amp is safe...

I'll post when I learn more and do the swap. It'll probably be right around thanksgiving give or take a day or two.

XloydtilldeathX666

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 am

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... 689&page=2

I just found that. That should mean unless you get an abnormally out of spec tube, that you can swap power tubes no problem. It also means what I had previously heard about the trimpots is correct.

carlajames

Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:44 am

357mag wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 am
Picked up a Blackstar HT-5H with a matching 1 x 10 cab last week. Didn't turn it on till today. I'm pretty happy with the sound. This is the first amp I've used that gives a fairly good crunchy tone at a low volume. Most tube amps can't do this but this HT-5H delivers. I put in a Celestion G10 Greenback in the cab. Good sounding speaker.
geometry dash subzero
What kinda bums me out though is this stuff I'm reading about the user not changing tubes himself. So if a guy needs a retube what does he do? I live in the United States. I got the amp from Musician's Friend and I registered online at the Blackstar site.
Hi, congrats on your new amp. I’m glad you like the sound of it. I did some web searches to find out more about changing tubes on the Blackstar HT-5H.

According to some sources, changing tubes on the Blackstar HT series is not very difficult, and you can do it yourself with some basic tools and precautions.

• Information