HT5 with Ditto Looper

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Johnny_Alpha

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi, I have an HT5 which I have been pleased with. However I have recently purchased a TC Electronic Ditto x2 looper pedal (great product) and the problem I am having is this: when plugged into the amps fx loop and creating a loop on the clean channel, when switching to the overdrive channel to solo over there is a huge volume drop with the loop which renders the setup virtually useless really. I have tried both settings of the loop switch and various connections but the problem remains. If connected direct to the amp this doesn't happen but then the loop obviously gets distorted too. Is this a design fault or is something broken and can anything be done about it? Any advice gratefully received :)

3tmoney

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 pm

I just plugged in and played my set up for the first time ht5 head and cab with the ditto x2 in the effects loop with the same problem. Please help

thephantum

Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 pm

You said you tried the effects loop level...make sure it's set to -10dBV.

When you switch the amp to OD, your solo comes through at normal volume but the loop volume gets lower?

Are you running the pedal on a battery or power supply?

Is there a difference in volume between the two channels (without the pedal)? i.e. - do you have to run the clean channel at a higher volume knob position to match the volume to the OD channel?

3tmoney

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 pm

With the loop pedal not engaged volume is the same. When I recorded on the clean channel and then switch to the overdrive channel its really quiet.and when I record on the overdrive channel and switch to the clean its ear piercing loud. using the loop pedal in front of the amp there's no issues with it. I've used this loop pedal with two different amps in the effect with no issues both amps have a clean and dirty Channel. Running it on power supply

ffooxx

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi, this is design fault. I have HT-40 which also behaves the same way if different combination of the clean and distortion voices options are set. I believe that if you search the forum, there is a electrical drawing which demonstrate whats wrong in design and how to fix it by adding some wires and bypassing stuff.
I have TC ditto and I do not usually play on the clean channel, but when i decide to lay down a clean track and solo over it i use the distortion channel and use my volume knob on guitar to very minimum to get clean. Not ideal but serves for my purpose.

Edit:
http://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/view ... ?f=32&t=30

thephantum

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Interesting. It's sounds like the dB level coming out of the preamp are different between the two channels and that is compensated for AFTER the effects loop. That would explain the symptoms....and the sampling pedal is just exposing it.

However, I just leveled the volume between the two channels on my HT-5RH and plugged a set of headphones into the send of my amp. When I switch channels on the amp there is no volume difference in the headphones. That tells me a sampler would work just fine in my effects loop...as it should in yours.

Try headphones in the send (put the amp in standby so you can hear it) and see if there is a difference...if there's not, then I'm stumped.

3tmoney

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 am

I tried plugging in headphones and I didnt hear anything when switching channels not sure if I understood though. I plugged it into the send on the effects loop it was silent in and out of standby mode. I haven't found anybody else that has this problem other than another ditto user.. Im wondering if its the ditto looper, like to see if the boss rc line is doing it

ffooxx

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am

It is not just DITTO related. All time based effects, multi-fx, loopers will suffer from the same symptoms.Some are less prominent based on the FX levels or FX mix settings

Actionman

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Same deal for me and I'm using an ID:260

Wild81

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Johnny_Alpha wrote:Hi, I have an HT5 which I have been pleased with. However I have recently purchased a TC Electronic Ditto x2 looper pedal (great product) and the problem I am having is this: when plugged into the amps fx loop and creating a loop on the clean channel, when switching to the overdrive channel to solo over there is a huge volume drop with the loop which renders the setup virtually useless really. I have tried both settings of the loop switch and various connections but the problem remains. If connected direct to the amp this doesn't happen but then the loop obviously gets distorted too. Is this a design fault or is something broken and can anything be done about it? Any advice gratefully received :)
Sorry to bump this, but I've got the same issue using the zoom g3x looper. Tried the -10 and +4 options on the effects loop, as well the correct impendance options on the G3x (active and combo power amp on settings). So far no good. Is there any way around it?

Thx

• Information