HT-5M (Metal) - no sound amp.

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
BradyD

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi All -

I've owned my HT-5M for about a month. I bought it off amazon. I recently accidentally left it on for about 24 hours, and when I went to sit down to practice, it wouldn't work. It turns on, all lights come on, the sound I feed into it via my computer still comes out the speaker fine, but nothing out of my guitar. If I put headphones in the emulated output and crank the volume on the OD channel up I can JUST BARELY hear something.

Emulated output doesn't work either. I took the panel off last night and the tubes seem to be fine, but I'm also not an expert so I may be mistaken. Is there anything obvious I should try? (already cycled all the knobs, switches, etc a million times). I'd love to try to fix this thing myself...shipping it back to the amazon seller would be a huge pain.

Thanks!

As a side note - what kinds of preamp/power tubes would be a good upgrade for the Metal series?

thephantum

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:02 pm

That fact that the EO has low output, but the MP3 in works tells me that the power amp is fine and the issue is in the preamp.

First thing to try is putting a new preamp tube in. The HT-5 has a 12AX7/ECC83. Preamp tubes are literally plug and play, so you do not need to bias the amp when you change it. Hopefully that solves the problem.

If not, then the amp needs to go on a bench to get diagnosed.

• Information