HT5RS w/ TC Electronics G Major

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
jsteinhart

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Is anyone on here using a TC Electronics GMajor and using the relay to switch channels? I'm having an issue because the TC jack is TRS, while the footswitch jack on the amp is just a tip/ring. Who's got the brains here?

thephantum

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:42 am

What's the issue you are having? Both the G-major and G-major-2 have dual relay's (which is why the jack is TRS). Relay one shorts the tip to the sleeve and relay two shorts the ring to the sleeve. You should be able to just use a tip/sleeve (mono) cable which would just use relay one (relay two would short sleeve to sleeve...in other words: it would do nothing).

jsteinhart

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Basically it's not staying on the channel. After doing some more research on it, it looks like "Closed" should switch to the dirty channel, while "Open" should switch to clean. When I try it with 2 different patches, it switches the channels, but will switch back and forth between clean and dirty on the same patch. I think the issue is that my HT5 is an older one with the footswitch using a momentary switch instead of latching. Correct me if I'm wrong.

thephantum

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 am

Ah. That's entirely possible. Older HT-5's do have non-latching switches. The G-Major will only work with latching systems.

You may be able to come up with a workaround though. Basically you would need a non-latching footswitch that can be controlled via MIDI. You would then be able to program the G-Major to trigger the switch. A German company called Nobels used to make one, but apparently they don't anymore:
http://www.nobels.com/cgi-bin/products/show.pl?e_ms-4

But something like that is what you would need.

jsteinhart

Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm sure I can do it with my midi controller (Roland FC-200), but I was hoping to avoid stepping on the extra switch when I change sounds. Pretty much my thought in hooking up the relay in the first place. It is what it is, I'll make due.

thephantum

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Well, that was the point....find a non latching switch that can be triggered by MIDI. That way, you can step on the G-Major and (in addition to whatever effects it's applying) it sends a MIDI trigger to the switch to change channels. That way, one stomp does it all. :mrgreen:

• Information