HT Metal 5 with Zoom G5

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Seishiro

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Bought a new HT Metal 5 Combo the other day and I wanted to know how to put my Zoom G5 in the "Send "/ "Return" of my amp. And any suggestions if i should put it in front or in the loop?
Just a newbie here. Thanks in Advance =))

thephantum

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 pm

The G5 is isn't really designed to go in an effects loop. It's designed to go in front of the amp. You may be able to "trick" it though...
  • - Connect the send from the amp to the input of the G5
    - Set the input switch on the back of the G5 to active.
    - Connect the return on the amp to the output of the G5.
    - Go into the settings on the G5 and set the connected equipment to "Combo Power Amp".
    - Turn the amp volumes all the way down
    - Turn the G5 Master Volume all the way down.
    - Power everything up
In this config, you'll probably have to run the amps volume controls low (to not overload the inputs on the G5) and control overall amp volume from the G5.

It's a kludge, but it might work. If it doesn't work you aren't going to hurt anything....it'll just sound like crap.

Assuming it does work, the bottom line of where to put it (in front/in the loop) is all about where it sounds best. Only your ears can tell you that. :mrgreen:

platyslug

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi,

I'm running a G5 with the HT5C - but its not without its problems!

As thephanutm says, the G5 is not really designed to run in the loop but it does OK, with a few caveats, if you put there as described. In fact, its the only place to put it if you want your delays and reverbs to sound nice - reverb especially sounds awful in front of the preamp if the gain is pushed, but that's going to happen with any amp. This is not a problem if you're happy with the HT5's reverb and you won't be relying on big delays, but its a problem for me because the HT5C has no reverb. The solution is to get a dedicated delay/reverb unit for the loop and put the G5 up front, where it really wants to be.

This brings me to the biggest problem I've come across with the G5 in the loop - compression - it basically 'squashes' the life out of the preamp signal and sucks up all the volume/power of the amp. Its OK, but far from ideal, if you want to run the amp very quietly, but you will loose the dynamic feel of the amp, particularly with light gain. The effect really kicks in with the volume over 2, pushing the amp higher than that and the 'sucking' becomes audible.

Distortions work OK'ish in the loop though, but boosters won't push the gain stage when they are tucked behind the preamp, though some people prefer a booster in the loop. The solution would be to get a dedicated compressor (and booster if that's the sort of thing you use) and stick that in front, then keep the G5 in the loop for the rest of the effects.

I am considering picking up a Zoom ms50g, which is more-or-less a basic G5 in a single pedal format - it has many of the same effects and can run up to 6 in a chain. The MS70CDR is a more dedicated option for the loop, it is packed with modulation, delay and reverb effects and it has a bunch of effects that you won't find on the G5/MS50g. Both of these options cost around the same as a mid-priced (e.g. Boss/MXR) dedicated compressor or reverb.

On the plus side, I haven't had any trouble with the HT5C overloading the G5 when its in the loop... yet...

Cheers!!

Seishiro

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks everyone :)
I'll try it out na decide what suits for me. :D

nick f

Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:53 pm

OK just to clarify things here in this thread

I have an older HT5 and a G3, same basic equipment as mentioned above

The G3/5 was not just intended to go through the front of a amp it was intended to go through EITHER the front or FX loop

They would have not provided settings for front combo, front stack, power amp etc if it wasn't going to go through the loop.

You have to decide what you want the G3/5 to do. If you want amp sims, OD pedals, and distortion pedals set it up through the front.

If you want time based FX such as chorus, delay, flanger etc go through the loop.

You can't have both (you shouldn't put OD distortion through the loop, sounds nasty). Unless you buy two.

I have my G3 in my loop of my HT5, sounds awesome, I am using chorus, delay, reverb, boost, harmonizer, and EQ.

I have my standalone OD pedals and wha going through the front of the amp

My 0.02

Nick F

thephantum

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:50 pm

The reason the Zoom G3 or G5 are not intended to go in the loop is that they do not have dedicated send/receive jacks. If a multi-effects unit is designed to go in an effects loop, it will have an input, an output as well as send and return jacks.

That's not to say you can use it in the effects loop, it just wasn't designed to go there. You stated the draw back yourself: you can only use certain effects depending on where you hookup the unit.

A unit that is designed to go in an effects loop (like a Line6 HD500X or a Boss GT-100) gives you the option to patch effects wherever you want them in your signal chain. In other words, you do a four wire hookup to the unit so it is between the guitar/front of the amp as well as in the effects loop. Then you can program certain effects to be in front of the amp and others to be in the loop. :mrgreen:

• Information