Speaker Cable Suggestions for HT 5RH

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
bluesdelux

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks again everyone for all your help and guidance on this. I went with the Live Wire Elite 12 Gauge Speaker Cable. It fit nice and snug into my HTV112 and HT5R head.

Before I connected them, I played a little while with the Blackstar stock cable to get a general idea of the tone they produced. I connected the Live Wire cable and I heard a slight roll off in the bass and slight increase in the mids. Overall, I heard a slight improvement in the balance of all frequecies. It wasn't hugely noticeable. I think if I hadn't listened first to the stock cables, I may not have really noticed. Also, it reduced some of the hum/hiss when I drove my amp with either a pedal or when I turned up the gain. I'm very happy with these cables and like how they balanced out the frequencies.

Futureritter

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:14 am

bluesdelux wrote:
Crunchifyable wrote:Echoing what Thephantum said, I'd recommend 16-18 gauge cable. 16 gauge is lamp cord and overkill for any guitar amp application. Anything thicker than that is a waste of money imo, even if you are driving a 100 watt amp 50ft feet away.

Any smaller gauges are really overkill for the application. I know the music stores wants to sell you thick wire just because they make more money off of it.

The reality is that this is a 5 watt amp.

For most applications, it seems like all this discussion of speaker wire is pure...sales gimmick.

I will say the nice thing about a 16 gauge cable is you will never mistake it for a guitar cable!
Thanks for the extra support on the wire gauge not making any audible difference. I appreciate the advice. I haven't bought any cables yet, but hope to do so soon. Thanks!

You didn't notice a considerable difference cause the stock cable isn't that bad compared to the Live Wire Elite. Try switching it for something like the Kimble Kable 8VS speaker cables, and then you’ll see what a cable can do.

thephantum

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Futureritter wrote:You didn't notice a considerable difference cause the stock cable isn't that bad compared to the Live Wire Elite. Try switching it for something like the Kimble Kable 8VS speaker cables, and then you’ll see what a cable can do.
First post and....are you selling these? I guess you don't realize that:
  • a) Guitar amps use 1/4" jacks...not banana plugs like the product you posted
    b) Even if it could be used on a guitar amp...$375 for a 10ft copper cable? Really?
    c) This is a thread for a 5 watt amp. The reason you don't notice a big difference in speaker cables is because it's only a 5 watt output stage.
:roll:

• Information