Speaker Cable Suggestions for HT 5RH

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
bluesdelux

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Hey all,

I've been using the speaker cable that came with my HT 5RH to hook up to my HTV112. I was wondering if anyone used anything different with better results. A sales associate said 12 gauge is better, it will give you a better signal.

There's a few I'm considering (all 3 ft.):
Monster Cable Performer 600 (not 12 gauge),
Live Wire Elite 12 Gauge Speaker Cable,
and the Pro Co S12 3 TS-TS Speaker Cable.

All 3 seem good based on the reviews. I like the fact that Live Wire and Pro Co are 12 gauge. However, the Monster cable says it has enhanced low-end punch and clarity and a wider dynamic range, but it's not 12 gauge.

I'd love to get your opinions on these.

Thanks!

Sonofarich

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:53 am

Yes...it will give you a slightly better signal, but will make little/no audible difference. IMHO...your money would be better spent on tubes/speaker.

bluesdelux

Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Sonofarich wrote:Yes...it will give you a slightly better signal, but will make little/no audible difference. IMHO...your money would be better spent on tubes/speaker.
Thanks!! That's good info to know about the cables. I'm not looking for a huge change in the tone of my HT 5R head. A subtle change was all I was expecting with any of those cables. I'm happy with the tone I'm getting. Just talking about it makes me want to go play!! I got the head 3 months ago, changing the tubes is something I'm not ready to do or want to at this point. However, it's a great suggestion.

thephantum

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 pm

I made a bunch of my own out of 10 gauge speaker cable, 1/4" jacks and shrink tubing:

Like sonofarich said, there is no real audio difference. The only advantages to making them myself were:
  • a) I have them in different custom lengths, so I can have the head where I want it without adding cable clutter
    b) Most commercial cables are black jacketed....just like a guitar cable. There's no way I could ever mistake the above for a guitar cable or vice versa. :mrgreen:

bluesdelux

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:58 pm

thephantum wrote:I made a bunch of my own out of 10 gauge speaker cable, 1/4" jacks and shrink tubing:

Like sonofarich said, there is no real audio difference. The only advantages to making them myself were:
  • a) I have them in different custom lengths, so I can have the head where I want it without adding cable clutter
    b) Most commercial cables are black jacketed....just like a guitar cable. There's no way I could ever mistake the above for a guitar cable or vice versa. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the backup on the audio signal. Your cables are very distinct...great idea! Any reason you use 10 gauge wire? Of the 3 cables I listed, which would you suggest? Should I go with a 12 gauge wire or the one that uses 14 but claims better audio because of better quality wire?
Thanks!

thephantum

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:53 pm

For a 3 foot cable on a 5w output stage, the gauge doesn't really matter as much...18 gauge would be more than enough. All of those are good quality cables and you'll be able to use them with up to 200 watt heads, so which ever you pick won't be a bad choice. I guarantee you that if you tried all three you would not be able to detect any sonic difference between them....all the claims are just marketing hype. Personally I would go with one that looks the least like a guitar cable.

As far as why I used 10 gauge...a couple of years ago I rewired my home theater system. It required a minimum of 12 gauge (based on power and length of runs), so I over did it and used of 10 gauge. I bought 100ft and I had about 30 feet left over. :mrgreen:

bluesdelux

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

thephantum wrote:For a 3 foot cable on a 5w output stage, the gauge doesn't really matter as much...18 gauge would be more than enough. All of those are good quality cables and you'll be able to use them with up to 200 watt heads, so which ever you pick won't be a bad choice. I guarantee you that if you tried all three you would not be able to detect any sonic difference between them....all the claims are just marketing hype. Personally I would go with one that looks the least like a guitar cable.

As far as why I used 10 gauge...a couple of years ago I rewired my home theater system. It required a minimum of 12 gauge (based on power and length of runs), so I over did it and used of 10 gauge. I bought 100ft and I had about 30 feet left over. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the beneficial info. It most definitely will help me make a decision. I really appreciate it!

ffooxx

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi, I have changed the speakers 1st of all on my HT-40 ahd HT-5 (10inch) and with it a thrown away the stoc cable and swapped it for Evidence Audio Siren 2 in HT40 and Vovox in the HT-5. With speaker change you will experience whole lot of different sound with only cable change you hear not too much of a difference, but after a while you will start to adjust the bass, mids and treble on the amp. I am also using EA cables Lyric HG as my main instrument cables and i run my controls Bass 11, Mids 11 treble 1 o'clock. The good quality cables just opens and flattens the frequency range you will otherwise compensate by other methods preamp controls EQs etc.

Crunchifyable

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Echoing what Thephantum said, I'd recommend 16-18 gauge cable. 16 gauge is lamp cord and overkill for any guitar amp application. Anything thicker than that is a waste of money imo, even if you are driving a 100 watt amp 50ft feet away.

Any smaller gauges are really overkill for the application. I know the music stores wants to sell you thick wire just because they make more money off of it.

The reality is that this is a 5 watt amp.

For most applications, it seems like all this discussion of speaker wire is pure...sales gimmick.

I will say the nice thing about a 16 gauge cable is you will never mistake it for a guitar cable!

bluesdelux

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 pm

Crunchifyable wrote:Echoing what Thephantum said, I'd recommend 16-18 gauge cable. 16 gauge is lamp cord and overkill for any guitar amp application. Anything thicker than that is a waste of money imo, even if you are driving a 100 watt amp 50ft feet away.

Any smaller gauges are really overkill for the application. I know the music stores wants to sell you thick wire just because they make more money off of it.

The reality is that this is a 5 watt amp.

For most applications, it seems like all this discussion of speaker wire is pure...sales gimmick.

I will say the nice thing about a 16 gauge cable is you will never mistake it for a guitar cable!
Thanks for the extra support on the wire gauge not making any audible difference. I appreciate the advice. I haven't bought any cables yet, but hope to do so soon. Thanks!

• Information