just repaired amp

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
hpharley90

Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:58 pm

My HT-5R was sounding like crap and I bought it brand new and was less than 2 years old...I replaced both tubes because I did not know better.....it still sounded like crap.....So I took it to the authorized repairmen in my area of New Haven county USA. Here is what he found. A capacitor went bad.
Here is a picture of the chassis that I took before the repair....I didn't see it...I don't have the trained eye to see that...when I picked up my amp after being fixed he gave me the old part and when I got home I looked at the pictures I had taken and there it was...you can see it bulging from the top...it cost me $127.00 dollars to fix.....
bad cap.jpg
bad cap.jpg (135.96 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
I was with out the amp for nearly 3 weeks and I am not a happy camper after the repairman told me to stay away from Blackstar....because customer service is something to be desired....the components aren't the best....case in point, my amp less than 2 years old never left my house and it failed...the repairmen had a Blackstar he had to repair a while back and it took 10 months to get a needed part...
so anyway I am having a new amp built for me by, http://www.category5amps.com/

I am getting the 18 watt Tsunami....

thephantum

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:36 pm

I get what you are saying, but I have said this many times before....B* does not have customer service in the US...Korg does it for them. So you are blaming B* for Korg's shortcomings (granted, I do think B* needs to re-evaluate that business relationship).

The fact is, sometimes you just get a bad unit in the lot:
  • - I bought a Canon HD camcorder in 2010 for $1200. Within a year it stopped working. Sent it for a warranty repair. They had it for 3 months....a bad cap. Doesn't mean Canon is a bad company...I just got a unit with a defective cap.

- I bought a brand new Marshall amp in 2000 for $1500. Within three months it blew a power filter cap...and I mean blew, not bulged, exploded. Sent it for warranty repair and after 5 months, I finally got it back. Doesn't mean Marshall is a bad company..I just got a unit with a defective cap.
I could go on, but you get the point....it happens.

Also keep in mind that you paid $127 for a tech to take 3 weeks to replace a cap that costs less than 50 cents and takes a few minutes to solder in. He probably only had in on the bench for about an hour.

• Information