Problem with HT5 channel switching from GEC9 looper/switcher

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
kazzee

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:49 am

Hi everyone!

I just got a HT5 head. The older version I think since it lacks built in reverb. I also have gotten a Moen GEC9 looper to control my pedalboard from. It has loops that can be used as triggers to swith amp channels etc. Both a normally closed and a normally open output.

However, I can not get it to work when I plug it in either way. When I activate the output loop that should trigger the channel switch, the amp does switch. But when I deactivate that loop, the channel stays on the OD-channel. If I then activate the loop again, then amp changes back.

From what I gather, the GEC9 sends a latching signal, thus activating a switch when the loop is active and then lets go when the loop is deactivated. And the amp has a momentary switch, as it seems this older HT6 model has. That might have changed to the newer models.

Does this conclusion seem correct, and how can I work around this issue? The GEC9 lacks Midi out, so that is not an option. What kind of adapter/relay do I need to get? Is there anything readymade for this use or is it just to build some DIY hack? As my electronics skills are rather poor, id like an easy fix. =)

best regards
Anders

thephantum

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 pm

That is exactly correct. The older HT5's are non-latching (momentary). To my knowledge, there are no "off the shelf" solutions for this....it's something you would have to build as an inline converter.

I found this (didn't image tag it cause it's huge).

http://www.dirtyhurricane.com/gear/latch_2_mom2.jpg

It's a pretty simple build: he used a monostable multivibrator (one shot) IC to make the conversion and bread boarded the whole thing so it fits inside the pedal.

bluesdelux

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Is your overdrive button on the head pushed in (on)? I know the stock pedal want switch the channels if the OD isn't on.

kazzee

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm

thephantum wrote:That is exactly correct. The older HT5's are non-latching (momentary). To my knowledge, there are no "off the shelf" solutions for this....it's something you would have to build as an inline converter.

I found this (didn't image tag it cause it's huge).

http://www.dirtyhurricane.com/gear/latch_2_mom2.jpg

It's a pretty simple build: he used a monostable multivibrator (one shot) IC to make the conversion and bread boarded the whole thing so it fits inside the pedal.
Thanks for the reply!

It looks complicated to me, as I am a noob at electric engineering. I think its gonna cost too much to be feacible solution. I think I need to sell it and buy a newer model. Anyone know if any other Blackstar amps use momentary switches? Good to know beforehand. :D

/Kazzee

thephantum

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

To my knowledge most (if not all) the new Blackstars use latching switches. I know for a fact that the new HT-5's, HT-Metal's and HT Venue's do. I'm 99.9% sure that the HT-1's do as well.

kazzee

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:30 pm

I am looking at a replacement amp, specifically a HT Studio 20 Head. Cannot find the info if that uses a latching switch or momentary. Just want to be sure and not "sit in the same boat" as of present. :)

thephantum

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:52 pm

I own an HT-20....it uses a latching footswitch.

• Information