1x12 vs 2x12

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Copper

Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 am

I recently purchased a Blackstar HT-5H and ordered a Blackstar 212 cabinet with it. The shipper accidentally sent me a 1x12 which I was ready to return but noticed it had a Creamback speaker in it. I've been able to get some great tones out of it but was wondering if a 2x12 would bring more life to it. I have a chance to get an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's for only a few bucks more turning the 1x12 back in.

Can anyone attest to the 2x12 being a better option?

thephantum

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Is/Was it a Blackstar 1x12? If so I'm surprised that it had a Creamback. The HTV's usually come with Seventy 80's and the HT's usually come with Blackbirds.

All things being equal (speakers, construction, etc), a 2x12" will move more air than a 1x12" will. It won't be any louder, but it will give more "spread" making it sound fuller.

Between the two cabs you are referring to though, there will be a difference in sound due to the different speakers. Neither is going to sound bad, but one might sound better then the other to your ears. Specifically the V30's are going to sound a little brighter and more modern. The Creamback will sound warmer and more vintage.

Do a Google search on Creamback vs. V30. There should be some shootout vids around so you can hear the difference between the two speakers.

Copper

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Yes, it was totally modded to have the Creamback even though I was told over the phone it was a 212 with no mods. Ugh, Guitar Center. Either way I kind of lucked out but it complicated my options as it does sound really good but am thinking an extra 12 speaker would be beneficial.

The only thing I'm worried about V30's is that I feel my amp sounds pretty bright right now even with a Creamback. Can they be too bright with the V30?

thephantum

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:50 pm

That's totally up to your ears. Forget about the HT-5, or which cab to choose, etc for a minute....if you listen to the shootouts, which speaker sounds better to you?

If you like the V30 and go with the 212 and it ends up being too bright with the amp, you can most likely use EQ/ISF to dial it in where you like. If not, you can always swap in/try different (brand) preamp tubes to warm it up.

Copper

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 am

I went and played an Orange 2x12 with V30's and found it lacking compared to my 1x12 with a Creamback. Maybe the thing is breaking in but I'm really loving this setup since I bought it.

I also picked up a Hall of Fame Mini reverb pedal and that really made it sound incredible. Going to pick up an EQ and one of those Joyo Vintage Overdrives too.

I can't stress how awesome it is how affordable great sounding gear has become. Thank you Blackstar!

thephantum

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:58 pm

As that Creamback breaks in, it will only sound better. :mrgreen:

• Information