Blackstar's ht110 Cab

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
dantrag28

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:38 am

I see these things used all the time at guitar center's website, they don't hate them enough to write a negative review nor do they like them enough to give them appraise. Does anybody have an opinion on these?

thephantum

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:30 pm

A 10" speaker is not going to sound as full as a 12", but it will still sound pretty good. However, smaller speakers are great for recording though...especially with lower watt heads. Mainly because you lose a little bottom end with a smaller speaker, so it makes it easier to capture a good, aggressive tone without it getting too muddy.

A perfect example is the HT408. It has 8" speakers in it. Put a mic about a foot or so back, dead center on the cab, use a low watt head (HT-1 or HT5) and record it. On playback, you'll swear that it's a 100 watt full stack...

dantrag28

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:54 pm

thephantum wrote:A 10" speaker is not going to sound as full as a 12", but it will still sound pretty good. However, smaller speakers are great for recording though...especially with lower watt heads. Mainly because you lose a little bottom end with a smaller speaker, so it makes it easier to capture a good, aggressive tone without it getting too muddy.

A perfect example is the HT408. It has 8" speakers in it. Put a mic about a foot or so back, dead center on the cab, use a low watt head (HT-1 or HT5) and record it. On playback, you'll swear that it's a 100 watt full stack...
The issue I'm having is from the ht-1 metal head, not the cab itself. I sacrificed equalizer for an amount of gain I'll never need. I should have just gone straight for the ht-5. Best way to test out amp heads is through headphones, that way you know what your shooting for.

thephantum

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:20 am

It's true headphones will give you an idea what an amp will sound like, but only on the preamp side. It will tell you nothing about how the output stage will sound when pushed hard. :mrgreen:

• Information