Recording with Emulated Out on Metal 5 sounds crappy!?

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
zone

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Hello

i just have a Question about the Emulated Out of the Ht 5 Metal, or HT 5 R.
I think its the same on both.

So a month back i used an Behringer Xenyx 302 USB to record with my HT 5 Metal Head.
The Sound was very harsh fuzzy on the OD Channel when i recorded...unuseable. Clean was good, but not the best.

So is that normal that the Emulated Out isnt the best, or maybe cause the Xenyx is crap?

I still sold the Xenyx and want to buy a new Audio Interface, maybe Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or Steinberg UR22.

Any Help?

thephantum

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:55 pm

The EO comes from the preamp and is passed through some emulation circuitry, so the power amp is not used. Getting a better interface might help (most Behringer gear tends to have a very high noise floor), but it's still not going to sound as good as the amp through a speaker.

If you fiddle with the amp settings, make sure you are not clipping on input to the interface and use some copious EQ (either on input, as a side chain or just post recording), you can get it to sound decent. Personally, I usually rely on mic'ing the cab to get the majority of what I want. Then just mix in enough of the EO to give it additional bite...but only where/when needed.

Crunchifyable

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:46 pm

The emulated out is crap for recording and I guess they put it there for live PA use. The problem is that the speaker simulation they use is garbage compared to what your DAW can use (impulse responses, cab sims, etc.)

What you want to do is take the effects send of the amp into the USB interface, and then use some kind of Cab sim VST in your DAW.

A cheap DI box between the amp and the speaker can be run into the interface as well.

zone

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Any good Cab Sim VST for free out there?
Never used one before.

thephantum

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Personally I've never been a big fan of cab sims. It's usually best to keep it simple. Dial in the sound you like from the amp itself, then figure out where to place a microphone to best capture that sound. Once you find the placement, it will blow away anything you can simulate.

imrulbinmonaf

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:36 am

Crunchifyable wrote:The emulated out is crap for recording and I guess they put it there for live PA use. The problem is that the speaker simulation they use is garbage compared to what your DAW can use (impulse responses, cab sims, etc.)

What you want to do is take the effects send of the amp into the USB interface, and then use some kind of Cab sim VST in your DAW.

A cheap DI box between the amp and the speaker can be run into the interface as well.
What about patching the 'speaker out' of the head (in ht 5 metal combo) to the hiZ input of a livewire passive DI box with a 1/4" jack? Essentially it will split the signal as follows:

Signal 1 will be running via the lowZ XLR out to the audio interface at line level
Signal 2 will be running via the cab thru/hiZ 1/4" jack out (on the DI box) to the cab (of the combo)

Will I need a loadbox in this scenario?

• Information