Ht 5rh loud enough for metal/djent in a gig

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
butdoesitdjent

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi all, I have an HT 40 and was thinking about picking up an HT 5rh and run it through the speaker, to get a more saturated sound as I would push the tubes harder. But would it be loud enough for a djent band?
Thanks

thephantum

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm

For clean tones it will not keep up. It just doesn't have enough headroom. For OD tones, it depends on how loud your other players are. I think you'll be better off with an HT-20H for a couple of reasons.
  • 1) It will be able to keep up with a band but you'll definitely have to push the tubes harder.
    2) Like the HT-40, the HT-20 is an EL34 amp, so it will sound similar. The HT-5, on the other hand, uses a 12BH7A in the output stage, so it has a different voicing.

Enlive

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:47 am

Get a TVP amp instead. The ID 60 combo or head or even the 30 combo is loud enough to gig with. You can get really good tones from it. Check out my band we use the ID TVP amps to record exclusively.
Http://www.facebook.com/ExhaleChicago
Http://www.reverbnation.com/ExhaleChicago

Enlive

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:09 pm

In general though I personally have owned both the Ht 5 and Metal 5 and 100% they are jusssst shy of being giggable. Like the guy above said, especially the clean channel breaks up way too soon. I tried both at rehearsal and could barely hang with the volume dimed on ch 2. If your trying to gig go for the metal 60 or 100 head. Or the TVP is amazing. I sold all my tube amps after taking a gamble on the TVP. The 260 stereo combo just destroys. Stereo super wide effects are heaven. If you haven't tried one, do yourself a favor. Good luck!

• Information