Vibrations / buzz on low notes, help !!

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
cyrillou

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 am

Hi Blackstar community,

I'm the recent owner of an HT5R. This amplify is really great but after a few minutes of use, I hear some vibrations both on clean and OD channel coming from the loudspeaker.
This vibration sound/buzz only appears when I play certain low notes.
I've tried with many guitars or cables and the problem is still here.
When I play with headphones, the buzz does not appear. It seems that the loudspeaker makes something vibrate in the combo...
Is there anything special I can do to resolve this problem ?
After searching the internet , I noticed that the tubes could be the reason. I have changed the preamp tube by a new one and the problem is still here.

Do you think I should change the power tube too (12BH7)?
Many thanks for your answers/advices !

Sonofarich

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:42 am

Check the cabinet to see if it is a resonant frequency and/or anything is loose. If it is a speaker issue, check to see if the speaker is too loose or too tight (tweaked/bent frame). The speaker should be snug, but neither extreme. Also, there is the possibility of a voice coil rub issue. Listen to a youtube example to see if that's what you are hearing. Good luck.

cyrillou

Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 am

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
I will check the speaker... I don't think it is a voice coil rub issue. The sound is quite different....
I have asked Blackstar but I still wait their answer.
Thanks !

lucabriganti

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 am

Same issue here. Did you fix it?

tracyberge1

Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:35 am

I think you should also replace the power hose (12BH7) . Donkey Kong

Sonofarich

Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:41 pm

tracyberge1 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:35 am
I think you should also replace the power hose (12BH7)
4 years later...and a power 'hose'??! Also a hidden link...hmmm, sounds like a spammer. One more and you go bye-bye. :twisted:

kalylcie

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:57 am

Hello,

It's great that you're enjoying your HT5R amplifier, but I understand that you're experiencing some vibration sound or buzzing coming from the loudspeaker, especially when playing certain low notes. It's good that you've already tried some troubleshooting steps like testing different guitars and cables, as well as changing the preamp tube.

Since you've already addressed the preamp tube and the issue persists, here are a few additional steps you can consider:

Check Speaker Mounting: Ensure that the loudspeaker is securely and properly mounted within the amplifier cabinet. Loose or improperly mounted speakers can cause vibrations and buzzing sounds.

Inspect Cabinet and Hardware: Carefully inspect the amplifier cabinet and all hardware, including screws, bolts, and any other components. Sometimes, loose or resonating hardware can contribute to unwanted vibrations.

Power Tube Consideration: While changing the preamp tube is a good step, the power tube (12BH7) could also potentially be a source of the issue. Tubes can contribute to various sounds and issues in amplifiers, and changing the power tube might be worth considering if you've exhausted other troubleshooting options.

Cabinet Resonance: The cabinet itself could be resonating at certain frequencies, causing vibrations. You might try placing the amplifier on a different surface or using isolation pads to reduce vibrations transferring to the cabinet.

Environmental Factors: Be mindful of the environment where you're using the amplifier. External vibrations or other factors in the room could contribute to the issue.

Professional Inspection: If the issue persists and you've tried various troubleshooting steps, it might be a good idea to have the amplifier inspected by a qualified technician. They can perform a thorough assessment and identify the source of the vibrations.

In summary, while changing the power tube could potentially help address the issue, it's important to consider other factors such as speaker mounting, cabinet resonance, and overall hardware condition. If the problem continues, seeking the assistance of a professional technician is a recommended step to ensure the amplifier is functioning optimally.

• Information