Question about HT-5R and enviroment-noise

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
HaakonASH

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:09 am

Hi.

I'm pretty new to tube amps and therefore my knowledge about them are not that great. I have a Blackstar HT-5R combo that I bought second hand in the spring.

I've been noticing a wooshing-sound, like if the gain was cranked, even on the clean channel. It's not too loud and I have no problems playing with it, it doesn't sound over the guitar tones.

I was just wondering how much the amp is affected by it's electric enviroment? I am currently using it in my dormroom, which has both dimmers on the main lights and heating in the floor. I have heard that that might affect the amp?

The wooshing is not there when a jack is not plugged into the amp, but appears when a jack is plugged in. Has tried two different jacks. The wooshing is not affected by the guitar or the volume of the guitar. It get's a little bit louded when I plug my 5-pedal-pedalboard with a Fuel Tank Chameleon into it.

Does anyone know if this is nothing to be worried about, or if there is something wrong with my amp?
Please let me know.

EDIT:
To give a scale for the volume of the wooshing.
I used an decibel-meter app for my phone. When I'm playing at my normal bedroom-volume(on the overdrive channel), with the volume on about 2,5-3 (9 o'clock) it measured about 70-80 dB when playing. When the amp is cranked the wooshing is about 30-35db. I haven't played the amp cranked because of neighbours. When I have the amp at my bedroom level the decibel-meter showed about 15dB when lying ontop of the amp, with the mic infront of the amp.

Cheers.

thephantum

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:34 pm

All tube amps will make some level of noise. The level of noise you are describing is perfectly normal. Unless that noise hits human conversation levels (~60db), I would not worry about it at all.

HaakonASH

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:20 pm

thephantum wrote:All tube amps will make some level of noise. The level of noise you are describing is perfectly normal. Unless that noise hits human conversation levels (~60db), I would not worry about it at all.
Okay :) Thanks!

• Information