Same OD Problem?

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
PhunTunes

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 am

Is this the same problem some others have reported? HT-5R
If you watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpOjm2GzBo8
note that my gain on the amp is as far down (9:00) as it can go before the volume is off. This is with a Telecaster direct to amp but happens with others. Had the amp only two months and not a real lot of use. Tried other guitars & cables but same. Same guitars plugged into other amps are fine.
Started yesterday. Also had a lot of heat, especially on the (OD) Volume & Bass knobs. maybe I never noticed before. Its not so hot I can't touch them but hot enough that holding my fingers on them is uncomfortable.
If this is the same as others, does this issue come back again? Is there a fix I can do myself (don't car about warranty)

Thanks

PhunTunes

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Received a message from Blackstar via their Facebook page that my gain should be at 7:00. My amp always (even before this sissue) had no OD Channel volume with the gain below 9:00. Can anyone verify their HT-5 is the same?

thephantum

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:08 am

If the gain is turned all the way to the left (hard stop), you will have no volume on the OD channel. If your hard stop is at the 9:00 position, the pot is just misaligned in the chassis. As long as your wide open hard stop is around 6:00, it's fine.

If it's a combo, I wouldn't be too worried about the heat so much. It's most likely just the way the tubes are oriented in the combo.

PhunTunes

Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:57 am

Not sure what you mean by misaligned?
I am currently halfway through scoring a film, so I always write down all amp, instrument & effect settings while working. On this one had a Fender-ish blues guitar sound with only a hint of gain. When I went to do some more work, could not reproduce the same sound on the amp no matter where the gain knob is set. Higher just increases that distortion further. Everything has distortion like I have a pedal inline but I am direct into the amp. I thought about replacing the preamp tube but Blackstar told me that opening it & replacing any tube voids their warranty.

thephantum

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:47 pm

You said in your original post:
PhunTunes wrote:gain on the amp is as far down (9:00) as it can go before the volume is off.
Normally, the gain knob stops turning at the 7:00 position to the left and 5:00 position to the right. So by misaligned, I mean that the pot is installed in the amp twisted to the right, so that your left stop is at 9:00.

Are you sure you were not on the clean channel? The HT-5 does not have a lot of headroom and it sounds exactly like you described. If you get the volume set right, it has a very boutique clean tone with just a hint of breakup.

PhunTunes

Mon May 02, 2016 4:54 pm

No, not misaligned. The knob goes lower to 7:00 but as both you & I said, the volume drops, although on this amp the distortion is still there.
No was not on the clean channel. The clean channel is fine with no distortion. And tell me if I am wrong but the gain has no effect on the clean channel anyway?
If I turn the gain up further on the OD channel the distortion gets even worse, totally unusable. As I said before, I was able to get some great sounds before this happened and have them recorded in Pro Tools but can't duplicate it with the same amp.
I shipped the amp late last week to a Korg service center. See what they say but not sure they have seen this model amp before. Two warranty centers didn't want to touch the amp at all. Not giving me a warm & fuzzy about Blackstar.

• Information