Eminence Cannabis Rex ?

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Adam-T

Fri May 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Has anyone tried the infamous Eminence "Cannabis Rex" 8 ohm speaker in the HT5R Combo? (Metal version in my case) , It sounds fantastic in the Fender blues Jr and is a sensible price but it has a large magnet (space in the HT5?) and I don`t know about the sensitivity (the Blues Jr having 3X the power of the HT5)

EDIT - Otherwise what is the general concensus of the best replacement speaker for the HT-5R Metal, the Celestion greenback seems popular on searching other posts .

thanks

thephantum

Fri May 06, 2016 8:34 pm

"Best" is going to depend on what sound you are going for. Eminence Patriots (like the Cannabis Rex) are going to emphasize the lower mids. A Celestion (like a Greenback or a V30) is going to emphasize the upper mids.

As far as if a speaker will fit, most manufacturers list dimensions as part of their specs. So it's just a matter of measuring the interior of the combo to see if there's enough space.

Adam-T

Sat May 07, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks, I`m getting my used HT5 Metal on Monday so new to the amp . there aren`t any specs on the magnet diameter on either Celestions or Eminence's sites , and celestion don`t give depth of their speakers either, only basic mounting information . Like most here, I`m just after replacing the less than optimal blackbird speaker with something which lets the amp shine (Clarity, depth etc) , the C-Rex is well loved in Fender valve-amp circles so wondered if anyone had bunged one in an HT5 :) .

The Celestion Eight-15 (and its V equivalent) seems to be the almost universally appraised choice for the HT1R (which I have) but it would appear to be less cut and dried with the HT5, same with Valve replacements (also bias setting needed which don`t affect the cathode biased HT1)

aberbuddha

Wed May 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi, I just changed my HT5C speaker, for a Celestion G12H 75 Creamback 12" Speaker 16ohm (T5891BWD)
It was a tight squeeze as the creamback has a pretty huge magnet, and i had to use some large PSK screws to mount 2 of the holes ( 2 lined up), but it only took 10 mins to fit.
Net result, Big improvement in all round tone and clarity. I now have some nice bottom end, and the Amp sounds like a proper tube amp ( was a bit rubbish before)
I also changed the pre amp tube for a NOS 5751 GE tube. That has been a revolution, the stock tube meant the gain channel was unusable for me (maybe ok for a metal fan ) The 5751 has dropped the gain a bit on both channels, the clean now breaks up a little flat out, and i can use a third of the gain in normal use without sounding too harsh thrashy and distorted. These 2 mods have meant it will be a keeper for a while. :D

Adam-T

Thu May 12, 2016 8:07 am

Creambacks cost a mint in the UK, I`d be more inclined to put one in an extension cab (for use with more than just the HT5) than replace the inboard with one ..........

I`m landing a used "Seventy-80" 16 Ohm for a good price , BS use them in the larger amps, will likely replace the Blacktird with that and make a 1X12 or 2X12 Green/cream cab later on -- unless someone comes back shouting the praises of the Eminence offerings (CB-Rex / Private Jack or whatever)

As for Valves - my HT5 being the Metal version (all I could find used) needs a tamer preamp valve, there are numerous options , thanks for the tip..

• Information