HT5C versus HT5R

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
Fretwired

Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I have an early HT5C which was bought the day the amps were first available. I am thinking of getting an HT5R combo and wondered if there's a list of the differences besides the digital reverb.

Adam-T

Thu May 12, 2016 8:41 pm

There may have been minor circuit changes through the life of the design (even within same versions) but the major diff between the original combo (R or otherwise) and the current one is Speaker size which moved from 10" to 12" ..

the older amp had a nice Celestion Driver from reports whereas the new version has a "Blackstar Blackbird" which is almost universally maligned ..... the Upshot is that 12" is better than 10" even in a cab as small as the HT5R and speakers are easily changed . after running in, the "blackbird" isn`t too Fowl (sorry - couldn`t resist) , I`ve heard worse speakers (and I`m sure many don`t give it a chance) but from all the reports, with even a modest Celestion (like the Seventy 80) let alone a top one (Green/Cream) these things are unstoppable, others have reported similar findings with other makes of speaker such as Weber and Eminence..

I`ve been mulling the speaker options for this amp for a week (new to the HT5 myself) and still not decided, even so, I`d always buy a 12" speaker version of a Combo over a smaller option regardless of the speaker fitted . remember also that some speakers need extensive high volume running in before sounding even good let alone their best - WGS seem to be about the worst for this, it`d put me off even thinking about one even if the end result matches a top Celestion - some of us have neighbours ! .

Adam-T

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 pm

One thing which may be a massive deal for you is that the Reverb versions of the HT5 don`t allow the EQ and ISF control to operate on the Clean channel , all you get is a "tone" control (basic Treble cut) - this is a Major deal killer for me and I`d rather lose the Digital reverb than full tone shaping of the cleans ..

Ironically all the HT1 models reverb or otherwise allows all the controls to operate on both channels (Except the Drive channles Gain of course)

• Information