First Tube Amp, couple Q's

Discussion - HT-5 amplifiers.
BlackZero

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 am

I'm getting ready to order my first tube amp (HT-5 Combo) and need some advice from the pros. :D
  1. Is it ok to buy used from Musicians Friend, or should I buy new? They have a used in "good" condition HT-5 Combo for $255 (w/standard return policy).
  2. How can I tell if I get a defective unit? What do you recommend going over or testing on new units to make sure all is right?
  3. About how long do the tubes last? Are they hard to replace or can a noob replace them?
Sorry for the extremely noob questions and thanks so much for any insight! Hoping I can get a sound similar to this guy:

gt_jumper

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 am

HT-5 with a delay definitely sounds like that! very cool. The amp sounds good, not too noisy but at full gain and decent volume it will feedback as most amps do. seriously, if the amp doesnt do what you want it to do, then dont buy it :) but usually there is something terribly wrong when something is wrong and you'll be able to pick it after a quick flick through the amps channels/settings.

I buy second hand all the time, then i have someone to blame if its at fault.

auburnshredder

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:22 pm

I agree with GT....both of my amps were purchased used. Tubes are very simple to change out. I have an HT-20 not an HT-5, but I suspect the HT-5 would benefit from a tube upgrade, at least the preamp.

gt_jumper

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 am

auburnshredder wrote:I agree with GT....both of my amps were purchased used. Tubes are very simple to change out. I have an HT-20 not an HT-5, but I suspect the HT-5 would benefit from a tube upgrade, at least the preamp.
Mine loved the tung sol, gave the lead channel more bite!

• Information