My Blackstar HT-distx has gone microphonic. What to do?

Discussion - HT Pedals. Heavenly Boxes.
bezen

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 am

As the topic says my pedal has gone microphonic, ie the sound goes muddy at times and then i have to tap the casing to get back to the regular sound. In my world all tubes have a certain lifetime but when i consult the manual it doesnt mention anything about changeing this. So, is the pedal all used up when the tube is? Or are there ways for a mortal to fix this?

toneseeker

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:16 am

bezen wrote:As the topic says my pedal has gone microphonic, ie the sound goes muddy at times and then i have to tap the casing to get back to the regular sound. In my world all tubes have a certain lifetime but when i consult the manual it doesnt mention anything about changeing this. So, is the pedal all used up when the tube is? Or are there ways for a mortal to fix this?
really just sound's like your tube has gone off,change the tube as i'm sure that is why it's microphonic same as a valve amp some a just crappy from factory as they do normally put cheap one's in there,get a jj or tungsol they are really reliable and sound good,but there is many that are good... nos etc up to the user what he likes! :D

bezen

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 am

ozguitar wrote:really just sound's like your tube has gone off,change the tube as i'm sure that is why it's microphonic same as a valve amp some a just crappy from factory as they do normally put cheap one's in there,get a jj or tungsol they are really reliable and sound good,but there is many that are good... nos etc up to the user what he likes! :D
Maybe I should rephrase my question a bit. Is there anyone that has experience in changeing a tube i a blackstar pedal? I dont wanna start disassemble it only to found out that its more or less impossible to change the tube or that there are more stuff that needs to be done when changeing the tube.

toneseeker

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 am

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bezen

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 am

Cool. I read another article that said it was just impossible to change the tube by going in on the top side.
Sure, its not something a guy with sausage fingers should attempt but it wasnt THAT hard.

ampdude

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 pm

bezen wrote:
ozguitar wrote:really just sound's like your tube has gone off,change the tube as i'm sure that is why it's microphonic same as a valve amp some a just crappy from factory as they do normally put cheap one's in there,get a jj or tungsol they are really reliable and sound good,but there is many that are good... nos etc up to the user what he likes! :D
Maybe I should rephrase my question a bit. Is there anyone that has experience in changeing a tube i a blackstar pedal? I dont wanna start disassemble it only to found out that its more or less impossible to change the tube or that there are more stuff that needs to be done when changeing the tube.
For other reasons, I disassembled my HT-Dual. When I removed the board from the chassis, there was the tube. It was pretty easy. Just keep an eye on what you're doing. Because I was looking for something else, I can't remember exactly what the tube side of the board looked like. Typically, if there's not something else securing the tube, its just plugged in. If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you just don't pull the tube without holding the piece its plugged into.. .don't want to yank it off the board! Of course, I'm sure this will void your warranty. I'm sure they only want authorized techs to do this stuff.

• Information