Problem with HT Dual OD2

Discussion - HT Pedals. Heavenly Boxes.
Mr._Crowley

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Hello Everyone.

I'm looking for some help! Here is what happened:

I bought a HT-Dual pedal from a friend and up to now it worked fine. I finally found the sound I was looking for and would never ever trade it against a other product. Yesterday everything worked fine, but todayeverything went wrong.

I went practicing in our bandroom. The drummer and me wanted to play Ozzy's Crazy Train. I used my Cort X-11, the Blackstar HT Dual on OD2 with a lot 3/4 gain. The HT Dual was plugged into a Peavy 50/50 tube poweramp and the poweramp is connected to a Marshall JCM800 Series 4x12 cabinet. And here comes the problem. As soon as I let my strings go I noticed a horrible feedback coming from the cab. It was simply not possible to control it. I moved arround in the room and even changed position of the HT dual... didn't help anything. Channel 2 of the amp (peavy) led to a similar situation. OD1 (Crunch) worked a lot better, but didn't have enough gain for my soloing. Bypass worked fine. In the end I was so frustrated I decided to go home. :( Does anyone have a idea what the hell is going on with my equipment? To me it's clear that somethings wrong but I really don't know what. And I unfortunately I think it has something to do with the HT-Dual... Please help! I want to be able to play with my beloved HT-Dual again! :(

kind regards

Adrian

sider

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi there 8)

did you try to replace or change all things that are connected in anyhow with your gear? Hell yeah, even if it sounds weird,: use different cables take another guitar, (Pickups shielded?) plug your guitar into another amp - test all your gear in standalone-mode. This ist one way you can separate the good from the bad before you spend money for repairs and stuff... Just check it out - good luck!

greez, Sider Image

www.schlachtcowboys.ch

ampdude

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Mr._Crowley wrote:Hello Everyone.

I'm looking for some help! Here is what happened:

I bought a HT-Dual pedal from a friend and up to now it worked fine. I finally found the sound I was looking for and would never ever trade it against a other product. Yesterday everything worked fine, but todayeverything went wrong.

I went practicing in our bandroom. The drummer and me wanted to play Ozzy's Crazy Train. I used my Cort X-11, the Blackstar HT Dual on OD2 with a lot 3/4 gain. The HT Dual was plugged into a Peavy 50/50 tube poweramp and the poweramp is connected to a Marshall JCM800 Series 4x12 cabinet. And here comes the problem. As soon as I let my strings go I noticed a horrible feedback coming from the cab. It was simply not possible to control it. I moved arround in the room and even changed position of the HT dual... didn't help anything. Channel 2 of the amp (peavy) led to a similar situation. OD1 (Crunch) worked a lot better, but didn't have enough gain for my soloing. Bypass worked fine. In the end I was so frustrated I decided to go home. :( Does anyone have a idea what the hell is going on with my equipment? To me it's clear that somethings wrong but I really don't know what. And I unfortunately I think it has something to do with the HT-Dual... Please help! I want to be able to play with my beloved HT-Dual again! :(

kind regards

Adrian
I had a problem with my HT-Dual, OD 2, as well. However, it was not like the problem you are having. Like you, I received my pedal 2nd hand, and it worked and sounded great. One day during practice, OD2's volume was suddenly chopped in more than half! I take care of my pedals, so I didn't know what to do. A week or so later, it was almost working normally. I found that when I would tap the chasis with my foot, it would go in and out of volumen. Still, I was sad, knowing that I couldn't use that pedal anymore and I couldn't afford a new one (I just ended up getting a S-1 200 at tax time :)). I recently dug out the pedal and decided to take it apart and have a look to see if anything was loose, or whatever. There was no visual problem, so I reassembled it and... whoa! No problem anymore! I doubt this solution would work for you, but if you're out of ideas (and money), it couldn't hurt to unscrew the bottom and have a look at the boards and the connections inside. Just pay attention to what you are doing, as you will void your warranty, as well as risk potentially damaging something if you don't know your way around. Good luck!

Mr._Crowley

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Hello everyone. First thanks for your help!

I have also contacted Blackstar because of the problem and they told me to contact the distributor. Well before doing so, I changed the tube in the pedal (The pedal hasn't warranty anymore). I couldn't retest it in my bandroom yet, but I went to a shop with my guitar and with my ht dual. We tested it there and the sales person thought that the pedal works fine. The feedback did still occour, but not in such an intensity and even myself thought that it was ok like that. So I will take it back to my bandroom and see if it works better now. If not, it might be a problem of the poweramp, but I don't think so it's the tubes. Rather a grounding problem. We'll see... I'll keep you updated! ;)

Mr._Crowley

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I have a update for you! The problem is solved. It was the tube inside the HT-Dual that was probably dead or half dead! It works fine again!

• Information