Blackstar HT-20 Studio combo footswitch problem

Discussion - HT Pedals. Heavenly Boxes.
Stijn_fi

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

My friend has got the Blackstar HT-20 Studio combo-amp. When you press the overdrive-select button on the front panel, you're able to use the footswitch to switch between the clean and OD-channel.

The problem is, it seems that you have to hold your foot on the pedal, keep it pressed, for the pedal to remain on the clean channel. The way it should be, is that, when you're on the OD-channel, you press the footswitch, let it go immediately, the amp switches to the clean channel and stays there. Problem is, at the moment you release it, the amp goes straight back into overdrive again. This way you can't use a wah-wah pedal for example, since you'll have to perform some acrobatic moves trying to keep balance while standing on the two pedals...

My question: is it normal that the footswitch must be permanently pressed to keep on the clean channel? The moment he let's it go, the amp switches back to OD, instead of staying on the clean-channel.

Sonofarich

Tue May 01, 2012 2:27 am

No...that's not normal. Pressing the footswitch should toggle between the clean and OD channel. It should not go back to the previous channel when you lift your foot off.

Does the amp buttton work fine? If so, sounds like a defective footswitch.

majikmojo

Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

check the connectors on the footswitch and amp also - some have been known to be loose
if thats ok then yea...bad switch

Service@BlackstarAmps

Tue May 01, 2012 3:50 pm

I think you may have the wrong footswitch. We do a latching one with a LED and a momentary without.
The correct footswitch for your unit is a latching one with LED. Seems yours is momentary.

Stijn_fi

Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Service@BlackstarAmps wrote:I think you may have the wrong footswitch. We do a latching one with a LED and a momentary without.
The correct footswitch for your unit is a latching one with LED. Seems yours is momentary.
Thank you for your reply. What is the best way to get the right switch? Contact the shop where he bought it, contact the distributor in the Netherlands (seems to be AB Music, according to your site) or...?

Service@BlackstarAmps

Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 am

Return to point of purchase and ask for the correct one.

VENTGtr

Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Service@BlackstarAmps

:shock:

Wow. I have been away a long time. Hello there!

Kai

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi I have just bought a HT 40 Combo with a single switch that came with the amp, I was interested in your replies as my switch seems to have the same problem i.e when in OD I press the switch to change to clean but I cannot let go of the switch as the amp changes straight back to OD. I have tried a Marshall twin switch but thats just the same.
Also it only works with the amp in OD, if its on clean the switch does nothing at all.

I will try some of your suggestions to see if there is a faulty cable etc otherwise its back to the shop.

Cheers

Kai

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Just to say that after checking the wiring/leads all seemed ok but, while sitting on a chair feeling a bit peeved i "stomped" the switch and hay presto it works !!

it seems that just pressing the switch will not actually switch it over, you have to give it a bit of a stomp for it to change, this only works while switched to O/D of course. All is well in my blackstar world now.

I also spoke to a mate who uses an Orange thunder 30 head/cab etc and he confirmed that if he just presses the switch on, it will do nothing, he has to give it a bit of a stomp to make it switch over from O/D to clean.

Hope that helps.

• Information