Do Pedals Add Any Value to BS Amps?

Discussion - HT Pedals. Heavenly Boxes.
kinkynoah

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:29 am

I just bought a HT-1 head and cab and love it. I do 80% of my playing on clean or slight overdrive and it sounds great.

However, for very heavy distortion I find the amp's sound a bit fizzy. I'm thinking about buying the HT Distx, Dual, or Metal pedals for crunchier riffage (playing an Epiphone LP with Slash Alnico II pickups).

Bearing in mind I am strictly a bedroom hobbyist, would these pedals really add any value? Or am I simply suffering a case of GAS?

jjmcgrgr

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

I bought the HT1RH and Cab and found that I wanted an EQ and more importantly a foot switch to switch between high gain and clean.

I got the HT DISTX - and to be honest I prefer the amp distortion, but the DIstX gives a pretty good growl - and again has the EQ. What it doesnt have is a noise gate and as a fellow bedroom shredder I feel this would really benifit the pedal.

Recently I started paying with the emulated speaker output from he pedal instead of the output jack, its a tad quieter (hum wise). Why is that?

Anyway - Its a great pedal and I feel a good addition to a great amp. I found that other shredder pedals such as the full bore or the boss pedals were thin on the ground and didnt have a grunt of the blackstar.

Make sure as a bedroom player you have a spare socket. Blackstars arent battery powered.

Sonofarich

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Lots of pedals available for OD/distortion gain. I would do some research before buying (youtube, demo), for the best bang for your buck. For instance, I love my MXR Custom Badass Modified OD that I got for $79 (new) from GC (with 20% off). An OCD might also work well for less $$, depending on how much gain you want. The BS pedals are quite a bit more. An EQ might also do the trick.

Good luck.

• Information