HT-Dual Hissing plugged into HT-5

Discussion - HT Pedals. Heavenly Boxes.
ajjcon

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi everyone,

Im having some bother with my pedal and amp situation, im plugging in my HT-Dual direct into the input of the HT-5 but when I select channel 2 I get this very audible hissing from the amp. Its almost like a grounding issue with the guitar but all my guitars have the issue, some are better than others, ie my zakk wylde lp is not too bad, audible but can be handled, but my epi standard is nutts. Ive tried strats and prs's aswell all coming up the same. It couldnt be a grounding problem on all the guitars. The HT-Dual is only 3 days old and the amp is less than 6 months..... Any ideas !!!!

P.S the cables are all good quality.

KKND

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:43 am

Hello there, is your HT 5 on clean settings when plugging the HT Dual? moreover, the HT-5 is an HT Dual in an amp form, which is awesome if you ask me but putting the pedal on front of the amp is rather useless, don't you think?

You can get great results by using an OD pedal HT Drive, or Tube screamer, but considering the situation i would go for an OD pedal without a sophisticated eq and let the amp handle that, for further shaping i would put an eq in the loop.

Anyways, try a different pedal and your ZW lp comes with passive EMGs (Epiphone) or active EMGs (Gibson) in both cases EMG pickups are quite.

ajjcon

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I see what you are saying but I definatly think there is greater gain from the the Dual, and my reasoning behind adding it to the rig is to almost give the amp a 3 stage chanel system then I have a boss eq running in the fx loop to regulate, i.e clean = just the amp itself all eq flat, od = clean on amp flat eq + channel 1 on the pedal, heavily driven = clean on amp, flat eq + channel 2.

Ive tried what you said about using a different pedal, tried using a Boss OD2 and a Boss DS2 but they dont have the issue, but i think that these pedals are designed in a way that quiet when there is no signal transmitting from the guitar.

What i didnt mention was that at first i didnt notice any hissing to begin with and it sort of developed as time went on. Ive started noticing now that there is starting to develope feedback when using some high gain pickups in some of my guitars...... i have a funny feeling that the tube could simply be buggered. The company I bought the pedal from gave me a power supply with a european plug on it rather than a 3 prong brittish plug, so im having to use a travel adapter and there is crackling when the supply moves in the socket..........

cheers !
andrew

• Information