HT Delay, HT Mod, HT Reverb ...

Discussion - HT Effects Pedals. Valve effects performance.
Phantom

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

Hi All,

Just took delivery of my Mod, Delay and Reverb pedals. My life is now complete. Pictures and review coming ... once I stop playing with them that is!

Phantom.

gt_jumper

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 am

Phantom wrote:Hi All,

Just took delivery of my Mod, Delay and Reverb pedals. My life is now complete. Pictures and review coming ... once I stop playing with them that is!

Phantom.

Oh sweet!

Questions i have if ya get around to it is, Do they have true bypass and are they 9 volt?

Phantom

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:29 am

Hi GT,

No they are not true bypass. None of Blackstar's gear is. The compromise with true bypass is clicks and pops. The devices that are commonly used to switch the audio are FET's which are for all intensive purposes 'transparent' to the audio path. Granted there can be delay's introduced and like the whole computer recording argument ... there's simply no way around it. My preference is very much "No to true bypass". But each to his own.

9V ... never! The pedals are called HT for a reason ... it stands for High Tension. In other words the valves (and yes there is a valve in these babies) are running at a full 300V plate voltage. Blackstar use AC supplies which are then switched up to 300V internally. It's why they say there are "no user serviceable parts inside". They don't want guys getting a very nasty shock! Literally.

All the pedals thus operate exactly as if they were inside an amp ... thus it's why you get that 'real' preamp tone.

All the so called 'valve' pedals that run on a 9V DC supply are basically running the valve as an over glorified diode. (it's why on some un-named products you can actually pull the valve out and everything still keeps working) ... go figure!

I'll give a full run down soon.

Phantom.

gt_jumper

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 am

Thanks phantom!

IT could still work for me with the non bypass coz the quality is higher then the DD digitach thing i have ATM, the digitech takes a bit of highs (although im sure this is inaudible in the band)

But to add another powersupply and need another power point is a big downfall for me. I am still ken to try one though. Next time i am in Brisbane i have so much gear i need to play!

Phantom

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 am

Hi GT,

Re the power supply thing ... yeah a real catch22 ... you want batteries you don't get real valve operation ... you want real valve operation ... you get a power supply.

The good news is, at least the power supply has the transformer in the middle and it's not a wall wart ... hate those things falling out of power boards!

Phantom.

gt_jumper

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:32 am

The power supply in the middle is a damn well thought out idea, nothing worse then having to find a space for this lunchboxed sized plug when every other device has theres in there too.

I am really looking foward to the delay and what you think of it, coz i will most likely head hunt one when funds right!

Cheers :)

SCHEMATIC MAN

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

Phantom.

wow phantom, your so lucky dude!!! i :) got one ordered with my local "blackstar " dealer, cant wait to get it !!!!!!!! :D

ROK!!!!
SM

gt_jumper

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am

SCHEMATIC MAN wrote:

Phantom.

wow phantom, your so lucky dude!!! i :) got one ordered with my local "blackstar " dealer, cant wait to get it !!!!!!!! :D

ROK!!!!
SM
what did you get?

Im looking into either a delay or a boost/OD

SCHEMATIC MAN

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

i have ordered the delay, i have already the ht dual & boost , the boost works great in my bass rig .... also when i play guitar it makes my ol plexi head really crank, i can turn my plexi volume down ..(making it more gig able and band/pa guy freindly) kik the ht boost on and still get that classic acdc sound without blowin my ear drums out and without pissin off everybody! :shock:

Phantom

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 pm

NICE!

Phantom.

• Information