Problems with HT DistX

Discussion - HT Effects Pedals. Valve effects performance.
Deadlock

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello all!

I bought a Blackstar HT DistX pedal second hand some time ago but it appears the pedal's electronics has been damaged somehow, so I've bought a damaged unit apparently. That sucks!

I opened up the pedal because the sound of the pedal was noisy, no tightness at all, and it was generally just a bad sound. What I found was that there was a considerable amount of a yellow-ish substance that had leaked from some of the 10 large capacitors (all on the circuit board that has around 10 of those). Looks like maybe about 4-6 of the 10 capacitors leaked.

Is this fixable at all, or did I waste my money? Thanks in advance :p

majikmojo

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 pm

that looks like bad news...

do any look swollen? those scores in the top is what keeps them from exploding but your leak looks like the bottom...

If a capacitor is poorly made, or if the circuit has excessive voltage, the chemical insulator can leak out of the bottom. The part has not only failed, it has exposed the circuit board to a mildly reactive compound, possibly affecting nearby components and the circuit board's copper foil. If you see a chemical ooze around a capacitor, it has failed.

Service@BlackstarAmps

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 pm

This is the adhesive that is used to stop the caps from working loose. They have not leaked. When they fail they will have swollen tops.

majikmojo

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

there you go!

not bad news!! - i dont recall ever seeing that much on a board but then i dont inspect boards every day :lol:

Deadlock

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Oh :D

I've never seen this amount on anything either, that's why I got worried. Yet again, like you majik, I haven't exactly seen a lot of them either :)

Sorry to bother you!

• Information