Noisy channel Blackstar

Upload your pictures here
rayfin

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Any one any ideas ???

Got Blackstar HT40, guitars straight to amp on dirty channel, fine
Guitars through effects on clean channel, fine
Guitars through dirty channel when effects are either on or off, annoying hum ?

Help please.

Ray

trinity

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:54 am

you need a regulated power supply for your effects
not a switched mode ... it will induce 60 cycle hum
and it will be noticeable on high gain especially

or run your pedals off batteries

not to overstate the obvious but....
...... you would get a lot more help
if you use a little forum manners and post the question one time,
and wait for the answers

instead of posting the question in several threads

...im just sayin

trinity

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:57 am

some effects need seperate power supplies and dont play well being daisy chained

if this or the regulated power supply dosent fix the hum
... your pedal may have a smoothing capacitor blown

ffooxx

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:58 am

Fully agree,

1st
1 DC adapter per effect is the best option or get isolated multi adapter like DC Brick, Woodoo labs,T-Rex plenty of them there.

2nd
Get one DC adapter for in front pedals of the amp and daisy chain them and 2nd one for FX loop and daisy chain them.
The hum due to to common grounding(earth) you are creating

3rd
Double check all you patch cables if they are ok.

rayfin

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks to everyone for the replies, but I've even tried pedals with batteries, and still same problem. Apologies for not using Forum etiquette, new to this game.

ffooxx

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:04 pm

This is strange.

What are the effects you run trough the FX loop and what are the cables you are using?

Have you shifted the effects about?

rayfin

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Must admit, don't use the effects loop, it seemed noisy also, cables are a mixture, might invest in higher quality ones. I run a few Boss pedals DD3, Blues Driver, CS3 Compressor etc, also Blackstar HT Drive. but even if I use just one pedal say Blues Driver with battery in , still noisy whether pedal turned on or not ? I'm thinking of going in to town tomorrow and trying another HT40 to see what happens. Thanks.

gt_jumper

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:02 am

rayfin wrote:Must admit, don't use the effects loop, it seemed noisy also, cables are a mixture, might invest in higher quality ones. I run a few Boss pedals DD3, Blues Driver, CS3 Compressor etc, also Blackstar HT Drive. but even if I use just one pedal say Blues Driver with battery in , still noisy whether pedal turned on or not ? I'm thinking of going in to town tomorrow and trying another HT40 to see what happens. Thanks.

Why do you run a blues driver with a HT-drive? Are you using the clean channel with effects and is that noisy?

To see if its the amps fault, plug an instrument lead into the loop, one end into the send and the other into the return. If its noisy the same way, its the amp (or cable so make sure you try this with a few cables)

rayfin

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:22 am

Had the Blues Driver for ages, just gives me another voice. I was using the pedals through clean channel mostly. Tried another Blackstar HT40 yesterday, took my own pedals and cables, worked fine. Rang suppliers and they are sending me a replacement this week, result ! Thanks for everyones help.

gt_jumper

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:26 am

rayfin wrote:Had the Blues Driver for ages, just gives me another voice. I was using the pedals through clean channel mostly. Tried another Blackstar HT40 yesterday, took my own pedals and cables, worked fine. Rang suppliers and they are sending me a replacement this week, result ! Thanks for everyones help.
Nice!

• Information