My perfect rig

Upload your pictures here
Les Western

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 am

Here's my signal chain:

(Les Paul Standard/Tele American Deluxe/custom shred guitar) >
(Polytune) > (Dyna Comp) > (HT-20 preamp) > (Effects loop: MXR 10-band EQ) >
(Power section) > (Weber MiniMASS attenuator) > (Avatar cab 1x12 w/Celestion Vintage 30)

Power comes from a 100v-120v transformer at the outlet.ImageImageImage

RollTide05

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Thats a great looking setup man. I am dying to know how that attenuator works with your ht-5 head. I live in a small apartment in Hong Kong and was thinking about getting one. I haven't heard of anyone who has tried an attenuator on this amp. Can you really get cranked tones at super low volumes? Any input would be appreciated.

RollTide05

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Sorry...just realized that it isn't an ht-5 head. Thanks anyways and I like the setup.

Les Western

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:35 am

Nope, it's an HT-20. But the Weber attenuator works great. I can push the amp hard and keep the volume relatively low. It's also one of the best values for an attenuator.

Superchampable

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:35 am

Les Western wrote:Nope, it's an HT-20. But the Weber attenuator works great. I can push the amp hard and keep the volume relatively low. It's also one of the best values for an attenuator.
Is that the 25 watt minni mass or the 50? I want the 50 watter for my 40 watt ht-40 but am afraid I wont be able to dime the amp and attenuate it to tv levels.
Weber recomends twice the watts of your amp. If yours is the 25 watt can you dime the dirty channel and attenuate very quiet with out problems.
Also, once you attenuat it do you have to drastically reconfigure the tone stack to get the eq the same as when the amp is cranked.
The weber definitly looks to be a great attenuator.
Sorry for the list of questions and thanks for the help!

Les Western

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:14 am

It's the 25-watt MiniMASS. The HT-20 is of course 20 watts. I was a little worried that the attenuator wouldn't have enough capacity. But from my experience it works fine. I can run the amp full bore and dial it down to bedroom levels. However, that dynamic might change with a 40-watt amp and you might find a higher attenuator wattage to amp wattage is needed. I don't know. You might want to research that a bit more. I find that my HT-20 retains most of its tone even when attenuated down around 2 on the MiniMASS dial. The attenuator has a switch that adds more treble and I keep that jacked to the max all the time. Meanwhile, I use an MXR EQ in the effects loop all the time too. I find that it really improves the overall tone of the HT-20, especially in the high end. So that EQ might also be helping out the attenuator. Overall, the Weber has turned out to be the perfect choice for this amp. I'm glad I didn't spend extra money for the 50-watt version, which is twice my rated wattage. Good luck!

Superchampable

Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:26 am

Les Western wrote:It's the 25-watt MiniMASS. The HT-20 is of course 20 watts. I was a little worried that the attenuator wouldn't have enough capacity. But from my experience it works fine. I can run the amp full bore and dial it down to bedroom levels. However, that dynamic might change with a 40-watt amp and you might find a higher attenuator wattage to amp wattage is needed. I don't know. You might want to research that a bit more. I find that my HT-20 retains most of its tone even when attenuated down around 2 on the MiniMASS dial. The attenuator has a switch that adds more treble and I keep that jacked to the max all the time. Meanwhile, I use an MXR EQ in the effects loop all the time too. I find that it really improves the overall tone of the HT-20, especially in the high end. So that EQ might also be helping out the attenuator. Overall, the Weber has turned out to be the perfect choice for this amp. I'm glad I didn't spend extra money for the 50-watt version, which is twice my rated wattage. Good luck!
Thanks, Im glad to hear it likes your blackstar. The 50 should be ok. I usally wont dime it either as I like the tone with the vol aroun 3/4 up. Webber is the only comapany that tells you to use twice the attenuater watts that im aware of. It must just be a precaution.

gypsyblues73

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 am

I've been looking at getting something for my Stage 60 to push the amp at home but keep the volume low so I can practice with a good sound but without rattling the windows. Does Weber make one that would be suitable for a 60-watt amp?

Les Western

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah, they make higher wattage attenuators. Check their website. You should be able to find one that fits your amp.

• Information