HT-40 Stack

Upload your pictures here
pacAir

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:45 am

Here is my HT-40 "Stack":

The only modification I made is changing-out the speakers to Avatar Hellatone 60L units. These are Celestion Vintage 30 drivers that are artificially aged and broken in and are quite good (my favorite speaker). They have detail, great low end "chunk" and are very efficient so you can play louder with a lighter amp.

Steve

DangerousR6

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 am

Cool, looks like the amp took a tumble... Image

pacAir

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Yeah, I bought the amp as a non-functioning return with shipping damage so I got it that way... dents on the front and a couple on the rear corner. These were most likely due to throwing the amp in a box without appropriate packaging material!

Steve

Superchampable

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:36 am

pacAir wrote:Yeah, I bought the amp as a non-functioning return with shipping damage so I got it that way... dents on the front and a couple on the rear corner. These were most likely due to throwing the amp in a box without appropriate packaging material!

Steve
Just wondering how much it did end up costing you and what country are you from? What did the amp need to work again?

pacAir

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 am

I'm in the U.S. (West Coast). I bought the HT-40 Club sight-unseen and totally "as-is, no return" so it was a gamble. I paid about 50% of the standard street price from an online dealer.

Besides the physical damage to the cabinet, the amp's Overdrive channel had no output at all and there was a loud hum in the speaker under all circumstances. A quick-disconnect connector on a ground wire had broken, there was some loose hardware and I had to replace 2 12AX7 tubes that were damaged. One was bad (cracked, no vacuum) when I unpacked the amp and the other failed similarly a few weeks later ...the glass envelope cracked all the way around at the base so I could remove the glass while the rest of the tube remained in the socket!

I typically buy amps when they are non-functional (& are good deals) and repair them myself. I haven't needed (or paid attention to) a factory warranty in decades! My biggest problem is getting schematics or fixing amps with weird problems that REQUIRE a schematic in order to understand what is going on.

I understand why manufacturers want to "protect" their designs but I don't see the point in alienating the technically-savvy owners who could be among their best supporters!

Steve

DangerousR6

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 am

pacAir wrote:I'm in the U.S. (West Coast). I bought the HT-40 Club sight-unseen and totally "as-is, no return" so it was a gamble. I paid about 50% of the standard street price from an online dealer.

Besides the physical damage to the cabinet, the amp's Overdrive channel had no output at all and there was a loud hum in the speaker under all circumstances. A quick-disconnect connector on a ground wire had broken, there was some loose hardware and I had to replace 2 12AX7 tubes that were damaged. One was bad (cracked, no vacuum) when I unpacked the amp and the other failed similarly a few weeks later ...the glass envelope cracked all the way around at the base so I could remove the glass while the rest of the tube remained in the socket!

I typically buy amps when they are non-functional (& are good deals) and repair them myself. I haven't needed (or paid attention to) a factory warranty in decades! My biggest problem is getting schematics or fixing amps with weird problems that REQUIRE a schematic in order to understand what is going on.

I understand why manufacturers want to "protect" their designs but I don't see the point in alienating the technically-savvy owners who could be among their best supporters!

Steve
Sounds like a cool deal, since you like fixing them. I've got a problem with a Crate BV 6212. You ever tinkered with any Crates?

crazylongboard

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:14 pm

How did you connect the cabinet to the amp? I've been looking around and I can't find an answer that isn't confusing. Could you please explain to me how you did it and what speakers are plugged into which jacks in the back? Thanks! I'm getting an HT40 soon and hope to get the extension cabinet soon as well.

pacAir

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

It is fairly straight forward with only a few things you have to pay attention to. I know it can be confusing, though!

First, as long as your HT40 and your external cabinet both have the factory original speakers in them, then they both have 16-ohm speakers in them. This means that you connect things in the following manner:

If the HT-40 is to be used by itself: Plug the internal speaker cable into the "1 x 16 Ohm" jack on the rear of the HT-40.

If the HT-40 is used along with the Extension Cabinet: Plug the internal speaker cable into one of the "1 x 8 ohm or 2 x 16 ohm" jacks on the rear of the HT-40. Using an actual Speaker cable (not a guitar cable) connect the OTHER "1 x 8 ohm or 2 x 16 Ohm" jack to the input jack of the Extension Cabinet.

If you look at the jacks on the rear of the HT40 and the way they are labeled, you can see that the "1 x 16 Ohm" jack is kind of by itself while the other two jacks are "grouped" together by the artwork on the rear panel. In your case (using factory-standard amp and cab), this "single" jack is used when using the combo by itself and the "pair" of grouped jacks are used when using the combo with the extension cabinet.

I think looking at it this way makes it easier to remember.

Steve

crazylongboard

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 am

Do you use a cover or anything for those two? If so what do you use? I received my HT40 in the mail Friday and I'm getting the HTV112 Thursday so I was just wondering. Thanks!

pacAir

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I don't currently have covers for this pair. I normally get covers made for me at BSCovers.com and have bought dozens of covers from them over the last 3 or 4 years. The covers are tough, lightweight and weather-resistant but they are not padded. I prefer them for preventing scuffs and protecting against rain and snow (an important consideration in the Pacific NW). They are a great bunch to work with and make a superior product if you are looking for light-weight covers (even embroidering the make and model number into the cover!). The price is right as well!

Since the HT40 and the HTV112 are the same basic size I think one cover template would work for both. I do not believe BS Covers has this model on their list yet (at least the last time I looked) and I haven't yet bothered to properly measure and document the cover requirements to get them made. When I do, these models will show up on their web site.

Let us know what you think of your new toys!

• Information