Succesful pedal - HT combinations

Share the sound in your head
Marcello

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

Hi all,

I'm starting this thread to share which pedals are working with our HT's and which aren't. My first impression:

Amp: HT-40

Vox Saturater
Haven't been able to get the sound I want. In most cases I get a harsh little edge that ruins the smooth Satch tone this pedal should give. I tried it mainly on the clean channel with both voicings. Need to try it on the overdrive channel on low and high gain. Maybe I can get it to work coloring the amps tone.

Mad Professor Sweet Honey
Little edgy but got a decent blues sound. The focus knob doesn't add a lot of color in my opinion. I tend to use it to boost a slight overdrive on channel two or on the clean channel. Boutique voicing works better. Still not what I'm looking for.

Maxxon VOP-9
Kinda the same story as with the Mad Professor. Not what I want yet. Colors the amp with a warmer sound and does add more than a little overdrive.

majikmojo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm

i find that an EQ on these amps makes all pedals sound better...

i can only attest to boss pedals,a crybaby,and an OCD - all of these play very nicely on the stage 60

gerrygt62

Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 pm

my Digitech DigiDelay sounds awesome thru the loop--that is ,until the batteries ran out, LOL!!

no prob, got a DC Adapter that came with the pedal, whew--have yet to try my Dunlop Hendrix wah, Boss Chorus Ensemble and ISP Decimator Noise Gate [don't really think I need this ,unless I use a strat or tele]

mantermite

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Working hard on my sounds here.

HT-60 Stage.

EFX loop - Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser and MXR Carbon Copy. (-10dB on the setting)

Straight in - Visual Sound compressor/gain pedal.

Was finding it a bit muddy at times BUT I have started playing with a metal pick!!!! Boy does that make a difference to the sound. Humbucker pickups by the way.

Pedals going through the EFX loop can be quite hot, my phaser was crunching at +4db, was awesome but I'd rather control that (great for Jimi style playing though real old vibe to it.)

GroovyTubes

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:44 am

Out front the Xotic BB preamp works fantastically on my clean channel of the HT 100. It also gives a bit more compression and boost for the OD channels, but it transforms the clean channel into a beautfiul spanky blues tone.

In the FX chain the Eventide timefactor works well, as well as the TCE corona chorus.

VENTGtr

Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Marcello wrote:
Vox Saturater
Haven't been able to get the sound I want. In most cases I get a harsh little edge that ruins the smooth Satch tone this pedal should give. I tried it mainly on the clean channel with both voicings. Need to try it on the overdrive channel on low and high gain. Maybe I can get it to work coloring the amps tone.
Try a lower gain tube. That might keep the gain smoother.

Like Magic, I've found my pedals tend me be more pronounced on the Blackstars than other amps. Have had to do some adjusting, mostly backing things off setting-wise.

Not bad, just different.

I run everything out front, btw.

majikmojo

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:09 pm

^^^ yep...out front and low works for me - less is more on these imo...

ibz

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:21 am

I've been trying some of my pedals with my new HT-60 Soloist and here's what I've got so far:

Before the amp, in the following order:

(1) Dunlop DB-02 Dimebag Custom Wah (moded): Pretty awesome sound, with the amp in either channel.

(2) MXR MC-402 Custom Audio Electronics Boost/ Overdrive: Excellent! The pedal has separate controls for boost and overdrive, which can be used separately or combined. This is a good marriage here!

(3) Wampler Plextortion: Although I've been loving this pedal for almost a year through my other amps, I'm not at all satisfied with how it interacts with the Blackstar. Even in the amp's clean channel (either mode), it's way too muddy, sounding "crackly". Almost as if my signal was in a deep fryer. I'll keep experimenting to see if I can find an acceptable setting.

(4) BOSS TU-3 Chromatic Tuner: No issues.

In the FX Loop:
Good:
MXR M-101 Phase 90 (with script mod), BOSS BF-3 Flanger, BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay, BOSS LS-2 Line Selector. No problems with any of these, even with the LS-2 adding a moderate gain boost.

Neutral:
ISP Decimator: I have to crank it to -20 dB and not satisfied with the overall result. I'll experiment with having separate power supplies for the FX in the loop and those before the amp to see if the results vary.

Not tested yet:
MXR M-109 Six Band EQ
HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus

Will order the new MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive soon. Also considering getting the Custom Badass '78 Distortion, MXR Classic 108 Fuzz and a compressor.

Later guys.

CC Overdrive

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Who doesn't love a good pedal thread!!??? A lot of great pedals here so far...Here is what I'm running through my HT-40.:

1. CAE M404 wah- awesome pedal w dual voicing. Gets you a new modern wah sound AND the classic as well. Plus the line-driver boost is great to combat the toe-up volume loss. Can be used as a boost if you like the "cocked" wah sound...

2. Pitchblack tuner...

3. Soul Preacher Compressor- EHx comp does wonders for this amp, really makes your Boutique clean channel sing, and break up a little earlier (nice feature for lower volume playing), gets a great sound for when overdrive is just too dirty, but cleans are too clean.

4. MXR GT-OD- used as a boost on the Amps OD channel, or on its own. The amp's OD, while very modern, can be a little too modern hard rock at times (maybe a tube change? That's a different thread!!), even on the OD 1 setting, and if you want a more classic rock, or vintage vibe, then this is a good allaround coice. Its a workhorse on my board.. Used in conjunction w. The compressor as well...Also cuts nicely in a mix.

5. 74 phase 90- Classic pedal, but imo sounds crappy when used through the loop, sounded kind of distorted. Maybe I'm doing it wrong....There's some cool Mods for this pedal on FXdoctor website which look cool.

6.MXR smartgate- Gotta have it when using combo of distortion/compression or OD/comp.

7. MXR carbon copy- Great Analog delay. I run it through the loop, as I didn't like how distorted it would get when used in front of the amp on the distortion channel. Very even, clean delay....but you will have to adjust your pedals settings, seems like it needs more volume when used through the loop.

May your stockings be stuffed with pedals this year!!!

ibz

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 am

When I wrote my previous post in this thread, it had only been a few days since I'd gotten my Blackstar amp.
Since then, I've been getting to know my amp better.

I've also been playing with two new toys through my amp:
- an MXR Classic Overdrive (with an internal switch, supposedly allowing you to switch between the MXR ZW44 and the MXR GT-OD)
- an MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive

Both pedals sound really good (individually) when connected between my guitar and the amp, making the Overdrive channel scream with richer harmonics.
Riffs from Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, and Brad Gillis sound really good with either pedal. The "character" is a bit different with each one.

Regarding the ISP Decimator, I managed to bring it down to -35 dB in the Overdrive channel when using an overdrive at the amp's input. This was the result of ensuring that the FX level switch was at -10 and having two separate power supplies for the effects in front of the amp and those in the FX loop. When in the clean channel, there's no need for the Decimator at all. Also, if I'm not overdriving the amp with a pedal at the input while in the OD channel, I can do without the Decimator as well. This amp is surprisingly quiet!!

I also had a chance to test the HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus in the FX loop and the results were satisfying. The amp responds well to the pedal's different settings.

As far as the MXR M-109 Six Band EQ, I used to have it in the FX loop of my old amp (solid state). For the Blackstar I have moved it to the front of the amp. I mainly use the EQ to get close to the Boston sound. Sounds pretty good, but not 100% satisfied yet.

I'm still curious about the Wampler Plextortion, which I haven't re-tested since my last post.

So far, so good. What an excellent amplifier!

Later.

• Information