HT 20 - Getting Heavy Distortion?

Share the sound in your head
midlife

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:12 am

Just got my HT 20 last week and still learning what it can do. I love the tone, but can't quite get that heavy distortion sound Iam looking for. I have the gain and volume completely maxed out but still can't seem to get there. I assume the amp is working properly? Do I need a tube screamer or some othe kind of distortion pedal to get that sound?

Another noob question. I assume I should be using the gain volume to push the distortion and the master volume to control overal volume? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any advice.

Sonofarich

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:23 am

What kind of "distortion" are looking to reproduce?

Seems hard to imagine that with EMGs and an HT20 that you wouldn't be able to achieve your hi gain goals...unless you're looking for some serious scratch.

If so....pick your favorite tubescreamer.

Bigsmudger

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:35 am

You should be rockin' with that lot.....
Best way I found for me to set up the 20s red channel is gain around 1-2 o clock, channel vol around 9-10 o clock
and control overall with the master. I'm using Duncan JBs - your EMGs should have higher output.
There's more than enough gain in these things IMO without resorting to pedals, unless you want to run one
in front of the clean channel.

majikmojo

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 pm

theres enough gain in that amp to loan some to my peavey :lol:

midlife

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the responses. On the original post I was playing a Shechter Solo 6 with Seymour Duncans. I plugged in my Hellraiser with the EMGs and it made a huge difference. I Just switched from a Peavey Vypyr 30 to my HT-20 about 2 weeks ago. I am still a noobie and trying to learn all of the nuances for getting great tone. No doubt the HT-20 blows away the Vypyr.

vbshredder

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 pm

To answer your original post, a tube screamer WILL help you get that heavier distortion you are looking for. When i finally broke down and bought one, it was exactly what i was looking for

• Information