Overdrive Question

Share the sound in your head
cherryles

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:22 am

Hi i have a question regarding my Blackstar HT Club 40, has anybody used an overdrive pedal that they can say without doubt is much better sounding then the amps dirty channel? I know where i can get a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 for cheap and im just wondering would it be a waste of money or has it the potential to give a better sounding overdrive tone? Mainly the music i play is GnR and i do find the dirty channel on my amp works well for this, however there are some certain Metallica songs from the black album that i just cant seem to get enough distortion from the amp to replicate Hetfields tone, im playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top with Seymour Duncan Pro Slash pups in there, thanks :)

GroovyTubes

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 am

before you go out and spend ~80-200$$$ on a pedal, try putting some new tubes in the preamp section. A lot a members here swear that the tube-swap brings about some pretty drastic changes tonally.

majikmojo

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm

i havent heard of too many people that didnt like the drive channel on the venues
i have a BD2 and that pedal wont do what your asking - its a great pedal but its for
blues grit not high gain stuff

if your hell bent on a pedal with good overdrive and transparent try the OCD from Fulltone
i love the gain channel on my "60" and with some tweaking of the controls gives me everythig i need

cherryles

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Overdrive channel is awesome for GnR/hard rock style distorted chords and slash solos but where its letting me down is James Hetfield style distorted chords in such songs as Sad But True and most of the black album stuff but then again it could be all down to my choice of pickups and guitar and the amp may have nothing to do with it but i have been told that the amp is not a heavy metal amp say like a mesa Boogie is but i dont care coz compared to my last practice amp this club 40 kicks its ass and is the best investment that i have made.

• Information