Tone help please!

Share the sound in your head
Ettery

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Well, before getting another guitar (had another topic about this) i thought it'd be better to learn more about tone, and pedals etc.. I have a HT-20 and Epi LP with seymour duncan JB and 59. I like amp, but its just i never know how to alter the amp's eq for different songs/genres..
I have a badmonkey, but that only makes minor tone difference (in my opinion) and feedbacks so much.. even with gain turned all the way down, it just adds load of extra noise when playing and makes it sound horrible. Also, i have no idea what scooping is, ive googled it but its still confusing to me..
The tones im most interesting in i guess is rock/metal and a killer solo tone, but at the moment it just seems really sorta.. dry? its hard to explain..
I'm all up for buying pedals and what not so hit me with your advice.. :)

gt_jumper

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 am

The dryness you are talking about would perhapes be the prominant mid hump in the amps voicing. But it shouldn't be noisy with a boost and the gain on low, is it a whistle, or just a background hum/fizz?

I have mine cranked and the dryness goes away as the amp opens up, but nothing makes an amp THE AMP, like an MXR EQ in the loop and the HT-20 is a great example of this!

Ettery

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:17 pm

gt_jumper wrote:The dryness you are talking about would perhapes be the prominant mid hump in the amps voicing. But it shouldn't be noisy with a boost and the gain on low, is it a whistle, or just a background hum/fizz?

I have mine cranked and the dryness goes away as the amp opens up, but nothing makes an amp THE AMP, like an MXR EQ in the loop and the HT-20 is a great example of this!
Its not a whistle/hum/fizz its just more.. noise? its hard to explain, but it makes my guitar feel really sensitive..
What are effects loops used for? I never really understood that either.. xD

mcbrideb78

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm

gt_jumper wrote:The dryness you are talking about would perhapes be the prominant mid hump in the amps voicing. But it shouldn't be noisy with a boost and the gain on low, is it a whistle, or just a background hum/fizz?

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of settings are you using on your MXR EQ ?

gt_jumper

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 am

EQ settings - for recording i drop the 2 middle slidders about 5mm from center and the low and high one up by 5mm making a shallow V.

- for live i just dump the low slider a smidge and up the high frequency one a bit to lose a bit of the darkness.

Ettery, Efects loop is where you need an effect to go AFTER the preamp. A rule of thumb is that dirts, boosts and volumes go infront of the amp (between guitar and input). Modulations, delays, reverbs and other "time" based effects go into the loop. Of course there are times when these rules can be broken with good results but most times its better keeping them where they are sposed to be.

This is the tone of the pedal board shown in the pic.

The noise is natural with boosts but not with the gain right down????

something might be wrong there dude.

Ettery

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 am

gt_jumper wrote:EQ settings - for recording i drop the 2 middle slidders about 5mm from center and the low and high one up by 5mm making a shallow V.

- for live i just dump the low slider a smidge and up the high frequency one a bit to lose a bit of the darkness.

Ettery, Efects loop is where you need an effect to go AFTER the preamp. A rule of thumb is that dirts, boosts and volumes go infront of the amp (between guitar and input). Modulations, delays, reverbs and other "time" based effects go into the loop. Of course there are times when these rules can be broken with good results but most times its better keeping them where they are sposed to be.

This is the tone of the pedal board shown in the pic.

The noise is natural with boosts but not with the gain right down????

something might be wrong there dude.
hmm, i may just be being picky? x_x
would you suggest getting something like an mxr eq?

gt_jumper

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 am

Not picky dude, MXR EQ's are the bomb!!! tried a few others and nothing comes close.

Ettery

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

gt_jumper wrote:Not picky dude, MXR EQ's are the bomb!!! tried a few others and nothing comes close.
No i mean, being picky with the tone badmonkey's tone haha,
yeah, i might try and get an MXR eq!
do you possibly have any idea how to achieve a KillSwitch Engage tone? I play some of their stuff from time to time and their tone is pretty cool.

gt_jumper

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 pm

with a high gain amp + boost + MXR eq in the loop, 100% you can get killswitch tone

Ettery

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 pm

gt_jumper wrote:with a high gain amp + boost + MXR eq in the loop, 100% you can get killswitch tone
im guessing the Ht-20 isnt high gain enough? would it be a good idea to get a distortion pedal then?

• Information