Tone help please!

Share the sound in your head
gt_jumper

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:36 pm

lol the HT-20m has more then rnough gain, that video was at 12 oclock gain wise

Ettery

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm

gt_jumper wrote:lol the HT-20m has more then rnough gain, that video was at 12 oclock gain wise
thought so, kinda seemed like you were saying it didnt :)
i've had a look at some videos about understanding tone more, and i've adjusted my tone to something which sounds decent to my ears(i guess there's no right or wrong?) but im still confused on how to alter my tone to match other tone's.. for example, other guitarists etc.. im guessing that pedals will come into play when achieving other guitarists tones?

gt_jumper

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 am

Ah dude, your chasing your tail if your after a "signature tone", most of the time they have special gear not available to the public, and there is a but load of post production. Not to mention the tone is in the fingers :D

Ettery

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I understand that, but I could atleast get something relatively close? :P its just when playing metal, I don't really have an aggressive metal tone.. I was thinking maybe a metal pedal would help?

gt_jumper

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Ettery wrote:I understand that, but I could atleast get something relatively close? :P its just when playing metal, I don't really have an aggressive metal tone.. I was thinking maybe a metal pedal would help?
If you dont have an EQ pedal i can't recommend them highly enough, MY MXR goes into everything that has a loop. If you cant get close to a tone with this well........ Image

Ettery

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:08 pm

gt_jumper wrote:
Ettery wrote:I understand that, but I could atleast get something relatively close? :P its just when playing metal, I don't really have an aggressive metal tone.. I was thinking maybe a metal pedal would help?
If you dont have an EQ pedal i can't recommend them highly enough, MY MXR goes into everything that has a loop. If you cant get close to a tone with this well........ Image
Well yeah, i was thinking that'd help a lot.. i'm gunna be getting one soon once i get a boss carry case since im sick of tearing through batteries!

VENTGtr

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:57 am

Are you talking live or recording? If recording, trying turning the gain DOWN a bit. Gain, to record, is a degradation of the signal and can make the sound SMALLER. You're losing certain frequencies. You CAN record a couple of tracks and blend them together, but you need a good, solid, full sound as a basis, even with

If live, though I'm not huge on the sound, scoop the mids. I can make my setup sound HUGELY metal, just by dropping the mids even without a massive amount of gain.

Your choice of speaker(s) may have something to do with it as well. If it's a stiff cone that require a lot of push to break up might be fighting an uphill battle to an extent.

VENTGtr

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Something else should add is that what you're hearing on a recording is recorded in a good sounding studio room, with good condenser mics at varying points from the speakers, and has work done at the board to tighten, etc. If you can, it's probably best to look up live versions of the guy's sounds you like, even then keeping in mind that THAT might sound not s good as the recorded version because of the limitations of the recording source.

Ettery

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:52 pm

VENTGtr wrote:
Are you talking live or recording? If recording, trying turning the gain DOWN a bit. Gain, to record, is a degradation of the signal and can make the sound SMALLER. You're losing certain frequencies. You CAN record a couple of tracks and blend them together, but you need a good, solid, full sound as a basis, even with

If live, though I'm not huge on the sound, scoop the mids. I can make my setup sound HUGELY metal, just by dropping the mids even without a massive amount of gain.

Your choice of speaker(s) may have something to do with it as well. If it's a stiff cone that require a lot of push to break up might be fighting an uphill battle to an extent.
mainly recorded tones, but any tone which is close will do, it just feels funny playing something which doesnt sound like it should, if you get me..
my brother got a line 6 spider 3, and the 'metal' and 'insane' tones on that had (all be it, terrible quality) very pantera-like tones, which sounded pretty awesome considering..

i turned the mids way down the other day, and play some metallica and it sounded a lot better, especially when playing black album stuff. It's just stuff like KillSwitch Engage, Slipknot, Machine Head just doesnt sound right, its like something's missing?

see, this is where i think i'd need pedals to aid my tone, i was also thinking of getting a POD 2.0 or something, to experiment with its tones and (however cheesy this may sound) to try a get a appetite for destruction tone..

gypsyblues73

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 am

I used to chase after distortion pedals all the time thinking there was some "magic" pedal out there that would give me the sound I wanted, to no avail. Then I got an MXR EQ and man, you'd be amazed at the different tones you can get out of it. More than likely, that tone that you're seeking can be found in the EQ, not another distortion pedal. And if you're after an "Appetite" tone, an HT with an EQ pedal should help you achieve it no problem.

• Information