Tone help please!

Share the sound in your head
moonzy1

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 am

gt_jumper wrote:Ah dude, your chasing your tail if your after a "signature tone", most of the time they have special gear not available to the public, and there is a but load of post production. Not to mention the tone is in the fingers :D
Very well said!!

one of the most succinct statements i have heard yet regarding "tone-quest"!!

classicampguy

Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 am

trust any one here who has the 20, It has all the gain you could ever need. I haven't used the MXR Eq pedal, but as you can see, it comes highly recommended so go for it. I use the EQ on my Digitech TSR-24, it's an OLD rack-mount multi-effects unit, Not the best thing out there, but it works for most everything I do. If you need any thing for a Metal sound It's an EQ. If you really want to go for a great tone, check John Petrucci. killer guitarist with killer tone. He plays high gain Mesa's, but will tell you for the best Tight bottom-end response, leave the gain down. I would recommend putting your gain around 2 o'clock, leaving Channel volume a little low, somewhere close to 8:30, Leave Bass just a hair under full and mids and treble at half way. On your EQ pedal i would guess leaving high frequencies mostly flat, slightly boosting lows and cut out some of your mids. I would not recommend completely scooping mids, because your guitar is a Mid ranged instrument, leave some mids to preserve the natural tone of your guitar. Leave ISF on the american side for that tight, punchy response. Get friendly with your master Volume, Overdriving your power amp produces a wonderful growl and improves sustain.

That should be all you need to do for a good modern sound, If you're still not satisfied, by a compressor and put it up front. (you can sell the bad monkey for the money)

• Information