Back to the trusty old Tube Screamer.

Share the sound in your head
dlotto

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:31 am

I exhausted my brain and wallet chasing that perfect OD pedal to put in front of a club 40. I finally gave up and bought, for the 3rd time in 30 years, the classic TS9, DX turbo this time. Nothing works for me personally like a trusty old tube screamer. I'm so disillusioned with the boutique OD pedal market. What a waste of my time and money. But far from me to discourage anyone from chasing that sound in your head. Just keep your wallets fat!

Sonofarich

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:12 pm

There's something about the good ol' TS style boxes. I use the Green Rhino and Sparkle drive for my needs and they are both great options for little $$. Combined with my Timmy and I'm good to go for all but the hardest grinds/fuzz.

Beejer

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:15 pm

I agree that it's hard to beat a Tube Screamer. I keep an Analogman modded TS-808 on my primary board and NOTHING can boot it off. I generally use this setup with my Suhr Badger setup, but it works just as well to boost and smooth out the overdrive on my HT-60.

That being said, I recently began using a BB Preamp stacked into a BK Butler Tube Driver ( with a 12au7 tube) into the clean channel of the HT-60, and it is the absolute BOMB. Stacking the TS-808 into the TD works just as well.
Add a bit of reverb and analog delay, and voila, Eric Johnson or Gilmour tones at your fingertips.

ray101!

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:55 pm

I've realized that a pedal can't compare with the amps own OD channel. So I look for amps( tube) that has the OD sound I want. There is drawbacks to this being with a pedal you can take it with you if the venue your playing has a back line already in place! But the pro is it's built in with the amp. JMO.

• Information