Blackstar Pedal connection and positioning

Specific posts about certain Blackstar products.
WML

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi, any advice welcome please.

I am new to the world of pedals and their use but more importantly their connection and positioning. I have a Blackstar HT-5RS Mini Stack and have recently purchased a Blackstar HT-DistX Distortion Pedal and a Blackstar HT-Modulation Effects Pedal. Can anyone please advise how best to connect these pedals, which comes first in the chain? etc...

Many Thanks in advance

Wayne

thephantum

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 pm

Despite what some people will tell you, there are no rules when it comes to placing pedals in a signal path. However, there are suggestions and the real question is: Do you place them in front of the amp (between your guitar and the amps input) or in the effects loop (which will insert it between the preamp and poweramp of the HT5).
  • - To place a pedal in front of the amp: connect a cable between the guitar and the pedal input, then another cable between the pedal output and the amp input

- To place a pedal in the effects loop: connect a cable from the "Send" jack (on the back of the amp) to the pedal input, then another cable between the pedal output and the "Return" jack on the amp.
Generally speaking, distortion effects should come before modulation effects...but again, that's not a rule...just a suggestion. You can place them both in front, both in the effects loop or put one in each place. You will not hurt the amp or the pedals by experimenting with these two locations.

So, as a jumping off point, I would put the distortion in front of the amp and the modulation in the effects loop. Then start moving them around and playing with settings to see what works best. The point is just to try them in different places and find out what works for your ears. :mrgreen:

WML

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi thephantum

Many thanks for your quick and detailed reply. As I mentioned, being new to pedals, I did not want to damage anything- Your reply and suggestions have been extremely helpful and reassuring - very much appreciated and will experiment with behind amp for modulation etc.

Thanks again,

Wayne

• Information