dept 10 dual distorsion cab sim very dark sound

Specific posts about certain Blackstar products.
ivanmarzanatti

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:53 am

Hi to all,

I just bought a dept 10 dual distorsion pedal, it sounds great when normally connected to an amp front input!!!

I'm a bit disappointed by the cab sim sound, from the jack output (still didn't try the xlr output, don't have a cable yet).

With my guitar, an Ibanez jpm p4, the sound is really "dark"; the overall sound loses the high crystallin tone and gets really "closed".
lowE, A, D strings do not have the high frequencies component, so they lose the "metallic" part of the sound. G, B, highE strings become very "thin" in sound, the E also loses volume.
To simulate a very similar effect, it sounds as if you lower the tone knob on your guitar to low settings: very bad.
It is much worst with the first channel, first voicing, lower gain settings; the more you go towards high gain, the better it gets. Rising the gain, it also opens the sound a bit; using the 2nd voice, which has more gain, it is a bit more open. So going to second channel, it gets a bit better. It never becomes a good sound, it is always dark, bye there is very big difference among these cases.

I tried to play with Architect settings, doing all the possible to "open" the sound; I lowered the resonance value, set the presence to max, changed eq to get out all those high frequencies and removing the dark component of the sound. It ended up with a higher sound, better than before, but it gets an "empty" tone, not warm as the original and a bit "boxy"; it is what one could expect when removing too much resonance and equalizing "cutting" too much.

It looks like the source of the sound itself is too dark to be adjusted.

Can't say if mine is a bad unit, which I should send for replacement, or a poor Cab Sim feature in general, or maybe there is a way to get something good but I can't figure out how :|

If anyone is interested and has a similar problem, we could share our thoughts.
If Blackstar is listening :-) maybe they could suggest what to do or if it is a faulty unit.

Cheers, thanks
Ivan

• Information