Blackstar vs Mesa showdown

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
madbanjoman

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am

I just got a Blackstar ID60 head and decided to compare it on similar settings my Mesa Boogie TA-15 set to the Marshal sound. I got them as close as I could and put an A/B switch between. Let me back up. I also own a Line 6 POD HD desktop and a Tech21 California pedal. I did extensive testing with both of these non tube alternatives to the ID60 and found the ID60 the most responsive and authentic feeling. I did not buy the ID60 to replace my favorite tube amps, just my other emulating choices. The ID60 easily does this. Now with the tube comparison, I just wanted to see how close Blackstar has gotten to the real thing. Close, damn close. Because I have an A/B switch that selects either or both, I was able to play with volume and dynamics with both amps. The ID60 behaved the same as the TA-15. When I backed of the volume both amps cleaned up but still kept the feel. Same when I backed off on my attack. At one point, I was playing into both amps and it was amazing how similarly they behaved to my playing. Where TA-15 shines is note articulation when distorted. The ID60's distortion is ever so slightly mushier then the TA-15. The pick attack was also better on the TA-15. The difference with the pick attack was less then the note articulation.

Hands down the ID60 is the best non tube amp I have ever played. Blackstar engineers the ID series unbelievable, I hope you can take the sound that last percent soon. Meanwhile, I will enjoy the sound and flexibility of my ID60 immensely.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (179 KiB) Viewed 5342 times

• Information