blackstar id100 tvp 80%happy

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
fisz

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 am

I not 100% happy with my id100 TvP
I think they start to sale this I'd series to quick without proper test
How company can send amp to the shops with so many firmware problems:
1) amp firmware update problem
2)tuner is mistake.(any one from blackstar testing crew try tune his guitar using footswitch???)
3)insider software problem (is not easy to load other users patches ,drag and drop don't work,or save patches etc
4)foot switch-
- when I try to change bank up or down there is latency and volume drop(like roll back your volume pot on half and go back to full) ,need to wait before I star play solo ,
-i am on channel 3 and want to change bank up, or down, its ok to change bank but after changing bank I can't engage channel 1 , I need to press number 2,3or 4 on footswitch and after that I can engage channel 1
Any one have the same problem with foot switch? I reset amp,changed cable to foot swith still the same
I hope they will update firmware in few weeks .
Amp sound very good, my first gig with my ID and i am very happy(even with this latency and volume drop on channel changing)
Cut through very easy. I use 4*12 cab with selection vintage 30
Before I use
Marshall jmd
bugera
DigiTech gsp1101 with Rocktron vellocity 300(I still miss this setup)
Blackstar ht stage100
And now blackstar ID . I know how tube amp sound and this Id series is damm close with less problems
(tube changing,special care on transport, less cables,pedals setups, tap dancing and so many sounds options)
I am only miss effects loop on this amp,
Any one try to change channels and banks using other midi controllers or multi effects?
So far I am happy in 80%.
If they fix firmware problems I will be 100% happy
Very good customer services

myk.robinson

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 pm

I think I mirror most of your concerns, however I'm curious about the volume drop. I assume you get the same thing when you switch using the buttons directly on the amp. This is likely due to improper patch "tuning" for lack of a better word. Assuming this is this case, let me share what I did to "fix" that problem. I used a decibel meter to adjust each of my four primary patches to have a similar relative volume with a fluctuation of about 4 decibels. That way, my clean and slight crunch patches have a good volume, and when I switch to "heavier" patches, they have a slight boost, but not overwhelming. They all "feel" good and sound good without having a major shift in volume. you would have the same "problem" on a tube amp and just need to balance the individual channel volumes to match them a bit closer.

Let us know if this is what you mean, and if that tip works out. If you have an Android or iPhone, you can get usable decibel meters in their respective app stores, some with a greater degree of accuracy than others. The goal is not to necessarily get the exactly matched, but to eliminate obvious volume drops or spikes when switching.

cadblaster

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm using a midi floor controller with mine but also have the blackstar footswitch. (Rocktron Midi buddy and Rocktron Raider).
Still have the latency channel switching issues with either.
Feel like I've been "had" by a Used Car Salesman.

myk.robinson

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah the latency is native and can only be fixed with a good firmware update. If they nail it, it'll be the first "modeling" amp (i use the term modeling loosely) that I have EVER used to have near-zero latency patch switching. It'll be nice if they nail it. I guess for the time being, i'm never in a situation where I have to switch patches during the same song. I just use a patch with the footswitch in "effects" mode and use it more like a stompbox controller.

cadblaster

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Ironically I bought the Blackstar Id as a backup for my main gigging amp,, a Marshall JMD.
The JMD has none of these issues,,, and comes with a 6 button footswitch. (and Midi)
Love my tube amps,, but gigging cover tunes is so much more practical with midi and modeling.

Another issue I found with the Blackstar footswitch: If you switch the amp to manual mode from the ampface,,then select a patch (ampface),,, you've got to toggle the footswitch modes around to get it back in patch mode and working........

KodiacJackson

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:26 am

man i know this post is forever old but.... the footswitch i have only had latency problems from bank 1 to bank 2, if you use bank 2 to bank 3, that latency disappears. hope you still have your amp and are rocking out with it. mine just died. is in the shop right now awaiting repair. :(

• Information