INSIDER USB audio issue

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
PhD

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi.
Got my new ID:60+FS10.
Loaded INSIDER on W7 PC and linked to the amp.
The update of the amp to 1.3.0.0 went without problem. Actually, everything works fine, the communication between the amp and the PC is just fine (panel, effects, library, tuner). Nevertheless, trying to play using the INSIDER "audio" cassette player simply does not work. It seems that INSIDER does not address the USB audio out. If I kill INSIDER, and play any audio (from firefox browser for instance), the sound comes well on the amp speaker. Any hint? Seems to me INSIDER has a problem addressing/recognizing the USB audio device when connected to the amp.
Thanks in advance.
Phil

PhD

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:35 am

Seems I'm the only one with that issue.....:(
I hope a new INSIDER release will pop up soon.
PhD

PTF

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 am

Hi PhD

I understand this is an issue with the way W7 formats the audio. I have the same problem on my W7 PC, but XP works fine and so does my friend's Mac.

Not sure what the solution is I'm afraid.

PhD

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 pm

How... Well great to know I'm not the only one..:) Thanks for that.
Well what is very strange is that if the amp is NOT connected, the sound from the cassette unit (within INSIDER) is well directed to the speakers. It is only when INSIDER connects to the amp that the audio goes banana... Pity. But it could be worse, apparently all the rest is working fine.
Thanks for your reply, keep in touch.
Phil

Fat-strat

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm

PhD wrote:How... Well great to know I'm not the only one..:) Thanks for that.
Well what is very strange is that if the amp is NOT connected, the sound from the cassette unit (within INSIDER) is well directed to the speakers. It is only when INSIDER connects to the amp that the audio goes banana... Pity. But it could be worse, apparently all the rest is working fine.
Thanks for your reply, keep in touch.
Phil
I realise this is an old thread but the issue is still there 7 months later.

I have the same problem - I suspect it's a driver issue as even windows media player has no audio with the amp connected. I've noticed that in the sound settings of windows control panel the default driver changes to the Blackstar ID Amp as soon as the amp is connected (manually changing the driver to my normal speaker driver doesn't seem to help though).

With the amp disconnected everything seems to work perfectly, through my computer's speakers. This is less than ideal as I'd love to hear the mp3 audio and be able to tweek my patches at the same time with all the deep editing to try to get the patch to match the guitar tone in the original. Guess for now I'll have to use the line in from a mp3 player - but won't be able to automatically repeat a certain section of the song to get it tweeked for that part as easily, and won't have the conveinience of controlling everything from one screen.

I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit with Insider 1.3.0.0 using my ID15, which (with much hassle) has had it's firmware updated to 1.3.0

Bakkersma

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Anny solution for this issue?
I face the same problem and I'm looking for a fix.

Help please..

cadblaster

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 pm

While not a solution I have a workaround.
I use the software "Transcribe" for playing, looping, practicing all my music (MP3 etc)
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
Run the amps emulated out and your computer into a small mixer (Cheap behringer works).

PhD

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi, everybody.
Well it seems that many have the same problem as I do. But it works fine with XP. Maybe we should tell BS that XP is 2 generations behind (and will be dropped from official support somewhere this year), so a look at more modern windows could be a good way to move forward...:)

sinbaadi

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

I gave the USB connection to Insider thing a really good try when I got my I.D but it just seemed old and not very good, and I decided the results weren't worth the hassle. Volume of audio was bizarrely low, Insider itself feels clunky and poorly thought out, things just don't work as well as you want them to. I wouldn't recommend Blackstar to anybody that fancies doing a little home recording through their amp. This isn't a professional solution, so it has to work simply and satisfactorily with clear instructions for easy configuration, but on the other hand if it being a home amp-to-pc cheap way to connect to your PC means that (technically or otherwise) it's impossible to come close to the dedicated USB interfaces you can buy, then it would be very misleading marketing and obviously not worth anybody's time or money.

I hope when you launch these new Core series amps you're going to thoroughly update and overhaul the entire USB connection element for ALL Blackstar amps with USB interface. I love the amp as an amp, and I would truly love an easy PC interface which delivers in the way that anyone that plugs a guitar into a computer hopes for.
Perhaps most of all, though, I'm disappointed that this hasn't been done yet.

sinbaadi

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm

I have to say that this new update has absolutely transformed the USB recording experience.

Results into Audacity are excellent, levels are reasonable and it worked with no settings tweaks at all.

• Information