External Speaker Connection

Discussion - ID:Series amplifiers.
myk.robinson

Sun May 05, 2013 1:43 pm

I have a friend who wants to buy the ID:100 head after playing my ID:260, but he wants to be sure he understands the external speaker hookup. I know that the manual says that the impedance should never be less than 4 ohms. But we both need a better understanding.
There are two speaker connections, each saying 4 Ohm.

So if he has an existing speaker 4x12 speaker cabinet, how would this work? I'm not sure at the moment if his cabinet is a single connection or two, but I do know it's rated at 8 or 16 ohms and switchable.
So, we'd like to connect my ID:260 to see how it would sound through that speaker cabinet... But I don't wnat to damage my amp, and he doesn't want to order the 100W unless he's sure it's going to work.

Help? Speaker math is confusing...

myk.robinson

Sun May 05, 2013 1:58 pm

He just texted me this about his cabinet:

STEREO (8 Ohms) or MONO (16 Ohms)

So with that info, I guess we can just plug it up stereo, one output to each input. with no concern for impedence?
Still want to make 100% sure, so someone in the know, please speak up.

cadblaster

Sun May 05, 2013 4:20 pm

The manual is a little confusing....
Combined load not to be less than 4ohms.
It also makes the note that you can not use 2ea. 4ohm cabinets, which makes me wonder why they would have 2 inputs in the back of the head,, both marked 4ohm.(I've got the 60w with only 1 input).

So, the 16 ohm input will work, but you'll experience a volume loss.
Assuming he has a 4x12 with 16 ohm speakers with 8ohm stereo option, then 2 cables, 2 inputs, with the cab in stereo (2, 8ohm loads),,, should give you the ideal 4 ohm load. Best to plug a cable in the cab and then check it with a multimeter to make sure what you've got.
All my extension cabs are wired for 16 ohm/4 ohm,,, so a single cable to the ID works.

myk.robinson

Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 am

So I can run a single cable to either port, disconnect the cable, and be fine?

myk.robinson

Wed May 22, 2013 3:00 am

I tried his cabinet tonight. I set the cab to stereo mode since its switchable. Plugged two leads from my 260 to the cabinet, and got no sound. I switched the cabinet to mono and ran one lead from the amp to the cab with one speaker lead disconnected and got no sound. I left one internal speaker lead plugged in and one plugged to the external cabinet and both worked.

That said, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why it didn't work the other ways. Guess I just need more help understanding using external cabinets.

Should I expect the same response with a head? He'd like to buy he id100 head, he loves the sound my combo gets. But were trying to make sure it will work with his cabinet.

cadblaster

Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Guessing there is probably an issue with the internal wiring/speakers of the ext. cab.
I never assume it's correct when setting up a new cabinet, as I've seen too many speakers swapped and rewired, leading to burning up an amp. :mrgreen:
Anyhow,, disconnect everything, switch the cab in stereo, then plug a cable in one of the stereo input jacks. At the other end of the cable, probe with your multimeter. Should read a little less than 8 ohms (7).
Now move the cable to the other stereo input and check of same reading.
Last, Switch cab to mono, and insert cable into the mono input and check for 16ohms (15).

myk.robinson

Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 pm

I'll test it next time I go.
But to confirm, the amp should work with a single output as well? Or does it have to have a stereo cabinet?

myk.robinson

Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 pm

Clarification from Jamie at Blackstar, if anyone else has the same question(s):
Hi Myk, good to hear from you again.

The ID:260 will only output signal when both speaker outputs are connected to a load at the same time.

With that being said, you should have had sound when you took two leads from the amp and plugged them into the stereo connections of your external cabinet. As has been suggested, this could be a separate issue regarding the wiring of the cabinet as it should work in theory.

and...
The ID:100 will work in mono as normal, it is only the ID:260 that works like this as it is in stereo.

HUTCHfromBA

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm

This in in regards to the Head . As a matter of fact it is perfectly safe to use any speaker cabinet rated between 4 - 16 Ohms. The 4 Ohm marking relates to the 'minimum' load the amp will accept. As it is a solid state power section it works somewhat differently to valve power sections. In general you get full power at 4 Ohms, around two thirds power at 8 Ohms and around a third of the power at 16 Ohms. I still love Blackstar & this ID 100W Head !

• Information